Author Topic: Hardwood boards  (Read 2345 times)

Offline crwjr

Hardwood boards
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:33:55 pm »
I have a lumber yard nearby that deals with native lumber, cuts to standered size and green or kiln dryed, located in Northern Indiana so my question is what would make a great board bow species and what size should I look for? If you have any pics of suggested species finished bows that would be great thanks all!
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Hardwood boards
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »
In my experience, lumber yards deal mostly with softwoods, but definitely give them a try. You never know what they have until you ask.

Red oak, maple, and ash are the more commonly available hardwood boards at least where I live, and all will make a fine board bow. I've personally had the best results with maple, but I've seen a lot of great red oak bows on this forum too.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:42:10 pm »
If you can find sap wood hickory boards with good grain that would be your best best bet but otherwise red oak or maple, as already stated , would work fine
I like osage

Offline crwjr

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:26 pm »
I asked if they ever get Osage in and they said nope. Dang it! lol
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:35 pm »
Is it a lumber merchant or saw mill? If it's the mill, go for the slab pile!They usually sell it for fire wood. That's the stuff that you want for bows anyway. If it's a merchant, they should have hickory as well,in your area .

Offline ScottN

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:53:55 pm »
dont give your hope's up, but find out from this place if they deal with small orders!

I have a local lumber yard near me that deal's with selling all kind's of woods, Domestic & Exotic. After talking with them for a while and finding out they can easily get Hickory, Black Locust, and Ipe- I was thrilled! But when it came time to order and they realized I only wanted 4-5 pieces that were 1"x3/4" and 7ft long, they quickly gave me the run around and stopped returning my calls.
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:59 am »
A few years ago I bought a 5/4" x6" x 10' of hickory for about $30 from a local specialty lumber company. The grain was straight and it was cut with bias end grain. I sawed the board into a 6' and 4' pieces and made lots of backing strips and a few 3/4" thick staves and billets. 
   See if they will let you pick through the stacks. If they do, leave them a neater stack when you leave whether you find "the" board or not. That alone should get you back in the door later. Also, bring a bow or two to show them what you want to use the wood for. Guys can't resist bows even if it is just a wood one.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crwjr

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 06:21:35 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, I have asked and they do have hickory but no black locust. they have maple, cherry, red oak, some walnut, and ash. and more would cherry make a good wood? a 2x6x8' board of hickory would run me $13 bucks dried. they are a saw mill with a retail section to the company. I can go and look through the yard and pick what I want. The sad thing is their process is to send the (scrap) right into a chipper from the saw. The lady I talked to said they do keep a pile of (fire wood) for people to pick up for $30 a truck load. but I cant see any of this being very long I could be wrong though. Im thinking about hickory but I would look into anything else also.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 09:45:49 am »
Check into the Firewood,they usually don't cut it up for $30 a load.Your boards don't need to be KD unless you plan on making a bow tomorrow.You may save som cash for "green" stuff, as typically by the time you finish one bow, the "green" one you roughed out ,could already be dry (if handled right) Most of my stuff , boards and staves have been sitting around for years.I can only work so fast. Just make sure you store them properly.And yes, Cherry makes a fine bow. Backing is suggested. This one is from a filler strip from a Kraftmaid kitchen

Offline gpw

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:52:09 am »
LA, that’s Totally Brilliant ... going for the slab pile !!!!  Thanks !!!    8) 8) 8)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:22 am »
Is the sawmill your talking about Flicks, over by kendallville?  If so, I stopped in two weeks ago hoping to pick up some slabs.  It was all chipped already.  :'(  But wow, did they have some beautiful logs piled up!  Josh

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:41 am »
Of the ones you mentioned I'd go with hickory and red oak. Make sure the grain is straight and don't compromise...walk away. Check my site for more. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crwjr

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
It's Holmes lumber co. In Columbia City! Right on 205 next to the YMCA. I'm heading there Monday to look around a bit! That us a beautiful looking bow in the pic. Ill probably grab a couple different boards from there, and put them aside. I'm still working in my Honey locust bow right now I cut from my property so yes green wood be alright by me.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 06:16:52 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll check it out next time I'm out that way.  Josh