Author Topic: Primitive psychotrigger?  (Read 7881 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Primitive psychotrigger?
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:50:36 pm »
Does anybody on here shoot with a psychotrigger? A psychotrigger is a device that signals the shooter to release, it takes the subconcious mind out of the equation and therefore eliminates target panic. A clicker is a psychotrigger. I know most of us on here wouldn't want to put a clicker on our self bows and backed bows but maybe there are some "primitive" psychotrigger options out there that will help some people deal with target panic. For example when I am at full draw and settled in I concentrate on moving my index finger toward my thumb on my bow hand. When my finger touches my thumb I release the arrow. It is non anticipatory because I never know when my fingers are going to touch. This is important because if you know when the trigger is going to go off target panic will quickly take over. Its simple but so far has been effective. Don't get me wrong I'm no expert on the subject but I have played around with many different triggers. For some people a psychotrigger is the only way to beat target panic and make them a proficient shooter. I think some primitive shooters will argue that this isn't how a primitive bow should be shot but psychotriggers have been in use for thousands of years. e.g. broadhead touching the archers knuckle. So any of you shooters out there try anything like this?

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Primitive psychotrigger?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
I do use my middle finger (of my string hand) and my second molar to know when I am at full draw. But I usually bring air into my chest (expands my draw a bit and makes it more consistent) and hold for a a fraction of a second afterwards, so its not really a trigger. I always like hearing how other people shoot, I find it very interesting.

I don't think anyone could tell you that a psycotrigger is non-primitive. After all, how do we know what kind of tricks and strategies these people used when they were shooting. They probably tried all kinds of stuff. They were no less inquisitive and experimental than we are.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:42 pm »
Yeah thats my way of thinking too. non anticipatory psychotriggers really help me relax and have fun shooting. Joel Turner on masters of the barebow 4 has a really good section on this subject.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:58 pm »
That sounds very interesting Lee,And I want to try it,but I've got it,(target panic), so bad  I either cant get on target and settle in,or,my bow arm "locks up" after hitting full-draw .Even as I get close to the spot I want to hit, my sub-conscience causes an early release. It is very frustrating,to say the least. I've tried the bare-bale work,and closed eye release drill,but it had no noticeable affect. I'm looking for any methods to re-train my brain to lose the early sub-conscience release. I will give this a try tomorrow,and let you know if it helps. Thanks. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline DQ

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:54 pm »
PeteC - You need to watch Jay Kidwell on Masters of the Barebow, Vol. 4.  Retraining your subconscious is exactly what he talks about to beat your kind of target panic.  Good luck with it, it can be hard to correct.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00:27 pm »
Ok Pete, also I don't know if I'm supposed to talk about other websites but on the shooters forum of tradgang.com there is a great post called target panic reality check. Its all about psychotriggers and Joel Turner is an expert on the subject. You should definitely look at it. When you use a psychotrigger it is important that after you lock on to your target, you concentrate intirely on the movement required to reach your trigger and not the trigger itself. For example after I lock on at full draw and aim I switch over mentally and completely concentrate on the movement of my index finger. I do not think about when my finger and thumb are going to touch. Doing so will eventually lead to the anticipation of the trigger. I also use a mantra in my head. I tel myself, keep pinching keep pinching keep pinching and concentrate with all my mind on that movement. Aiming is subconscious after you have locked on. You just continue to look at the spot and concentrate on the movement of whatever it is that gets you to your trigger. These are all straight from Joel Turner so I can't take any credit for these instructions. But give it a shot it might work for you. If that trigger doesn't work there are many more out there to try.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:27 pm »
The last part of my draw is a slow squeeze of my shoulder blades, like I'm cracking a walnut between them.   My trigger is reaching the max of my shoulders' range of motion.

Draw...aim&squeeeze... zing.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:03:19 pm »
Yeah Jay Kidwell's drills are great. They may help you get to the point where you can easily reach full draw and from that point a psychotrigger may be easier to adapt. Or you may not need one at all, everyone is different. Both Jay and Joel have helped me alot.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »
Pekane I believe what you are describing is an anticipatory psychotrigger, meaning you know when its coming. I wish I was one of those guys that could consistantly shoot like this but I require a non anticipatory trigger because that means something else tells me when to release and that is important for beating back tp.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »
Pete do you have masters of the barebow 4?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:40 am »
Lee, you can talk about other sites. Just don't post a direct link.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:18:08 am »
Ok thanks Pat! Wasn't sure

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:34:58 am »
No Lee,I don't have it.Is it a book or a video?Thanks for the response . God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:06 am »
Its a video. You should get it. Its the best out there on target panic.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 11:08:29 am »
  I've never heard it all a psychotrigger but I guess wthat I do could be called that.
  I pick my spot as soon as start my draw. Never quit looking at ti untill my arrow hits. Then I ankor middle figger in the corner of my mouth. The last 1/2 second I draw in my back mussles and touch a tooth to finish my release. Releaseing with my third finger down first. It's better when shooting instintive to feel you psychotrigger than to here it.  It's all in what comes natural to you hereing a clicker not natural to your bow shooting as feeling is.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING