Author Topic: short yew bow question/dimensions?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

short yew bow question/dimensions?
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:52:41 pm »
I want to make a short Pacific Yew bow. I have a stave that will work perfectly for it. I would like it to be short to accommodate my 22" short draw. What is a safe length for an un-backed yew bow? Mostly rigid handle.  Also I would prefer not to make a west coast type paddle bow. I would much prefer it to be like my normal bows...so if it needs to be a bit "longer" then I am ok with that.  52" inches long and  1 3/4- 2"wide for a 22" draw safe on yew??? I honestly know about "0"<--  this much about yew. It will likely be my one and only yew bow for a while..so I don't want to mess up by making poor dimensions.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: short yew bow question/dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:42 pm »
make it at least 44 inches. Just go with the 50, or maybe a 48 incher.... Sinew back it, you can probably make it like 36-40.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »
Gill, 52" and 1 3/4 at fades is plenty safe for a 22" draw.  What does the stave look like in terms of sapwood thickness and ring count? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
My Osage short bow is 49 inchs tip to tip and it has a stiff handle and can be drawn to 22 inchs so I would assume yew wood could bear the same
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
2 inch wide limbs at the widest at 52 inchs long with a stiff handle you should easily get 22 inchs
I like osage

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:38:52 pm »
good to know guys, thanks. I will likely overbuild it a little to be extra safe. The difference between 52 and 54" to me is well worth peace of mind. plus if it comes in under weight, I can always pike it >:D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »

twistedlimbs..! here is a prior post of mine, just click on the image link below the photos, it should open up in IE and you can expand the size. He built the yew bow, 48"  70#  @ 24" draw.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37097.0.html
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell