Author Topic: Working on yet another...  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Kegan

Working on yet another...
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:29:16 pm »
Well, I started building another hickory D bow, this time for a compunder with an interst for selfbows on Archerytalk's young archers forum. Thing is, it's cut to dimensions and tillered, but the bow was in cold/semi-damp spots for several months and is over 30% moisture. So I made a dryer out of a 100 watt lightbulb and old aluminum drainage pipe (similiar to the one in The Bent Stick). Thing is, I don't know how long I'll have to leave it in there to bring it down to 9%, or if this set up will even work properly. Anybody have any tips or ideas? I want to get the bow dried by next week :(.

Offline adb

Re: Working on yet another...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:20:53 pm »
Do you have a moisture meter? It's the only way to tell for SURE. Experience plays a large role, but to be sure, nothing beats a meter.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:51:02 pm »
You could use a relative humidity meter. But I don't know how. i have a moisture meter. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:13:26 pm »
Ah, yes, I am using one. My father had one he had gotten from an old construction sight when the rest of the crew deemed it useless (it wasn't, so he got it).

So far it has been sitting in there for a day, I'm thinking maybe four days and it should be ready? I am kinda winging this one, so all help would be appreciated.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:58:55 pm »
Keegan, whan you brace the bow for the first time and it goes "plink" and not "plunk" you know its dry. Steve

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:26:08 pm »
If you have access to an appropriate scale, you can weigh it and find out when it stops losing weight.  A month in the hotbox ought to bring it down into a usable range.  that is if it is down to near-dimensions.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 07:28:17 pm »
Thanks guys. There is an obbcvious difference between wet and dry (or however you want to say it) I'm just trying to "dry" it out. Hopefully the lightbulb tube works :)