Author Topic: New Questions!! -Osage bow design query (pics added)  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Orangeman89

New Questions!! -Osage bow design query (pics added)
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:28:20 pm »
Hi Folks,
I would like to get some suggestions on bow dimensions for a pyramid bow.  I currently have an Osage bow blank that I steamed and formed (on a caul) to have a nice deflex/reflex shape.  This blank is from wood that was harvested and split into staves in January.  At the time of harvest I also removed the bark, sapwood, and several rings so that I am currently one ring above the future back.  The blank dimensions are as follows:  68' long, 2" wide, 1" thick limbs (except handle area which is 1 3/4" thick).  The handle area is 4 1/8" plus 1 1/2" fades.  Summer rings are pretty nice and the back is pretty clean.  I have a true 28.5" draw and hope to have the bow draw in the 55lb. range at my draw length.  My plan is to let it sit for a month or so, since I just steamed and bent last night.  This should give it time to settle a little and lose a little more moisture.  Then my plan is to draw out my bow and cut to rough outline.  Then let it sit another few weeks before the hot box. 

Sorry for all of the detail, but wanted to give an accurate description of where I'm at before I ask for dimension suggestions.

I like a longer bow and thought about 66 or 67 inches, but I don't know if I could use it out of a tree stand (my current hunting bow is a 58" laminated hybrid bow). 

What should the limb width at the fadeouts be?  I was going to do a straight line taper to 1/2" at the nock end and then thin the outer limbs later.  Should I do a straight taper, or try to create the Eiffel tower effect on the outer part of the limb?  This is my first attempt at a pyramid so I really don't know exactly how to lay it out. 

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. 

Mark     
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:25:22 pm by Orangeman89 »

Offline Joec123able

Re: Osage bow design query
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:33 pm »
I would go about 2 inchs wide at the fades and a straight taper to 1/2 inch. Apyramid bow is a very good design for Osage
I like osage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:55 pm »
I cannot really help you, as I have never touched a piece of osage, nor seen any except a single 12 inch piece of firewood.  it was severely rotten...
However, some things are simple-
How high is the crown? How big of a tree did you cut it from?
Too high of a crown limits limb width.
2 inches wide is WIDE for osage.
That much I know. You are going to like the bow probably.
Make the bow not too thick- the thickness is the same all the way from the handle fades to tips.
I made a mini-pyramid from oak once. it was a scrap left over from a sword.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:42:29 pm »
2 inchs is perfect in my experience with Osage of course you don't need to make it that wide but it gives a nice look
I like osage

Offline Orangeman89

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:51:09 pm »
Thanks guys.  The crown isn't all that severe.  The tree was a good 10" diameter before cutting.  Do you think a 66" bow is too long for tree stand hunting?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »
Traditional archers..
"We scorned to hunt from a tree" -Saxton Pope, Hunting with the Bow and Arrow
Probably.
Traditional archers generally did not hunt from trees.
-Squirrel
I do not hunt(with bow, at least, and I dont own a gun).
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Orangeman89

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:27:29 pm »
Squirrelslinger,
Huh????  Any advise on Pyramid osage bow design?  Thanks.
Mark

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:57:13 pm »
At that length for a osage pyramid starting your width at two of inches is fine..by the time you hit mid limb it'll only be approx 1 1/8" or so.....you can Eiffel tower the last 8-10" if you wish to do so with a pyramid....up to you. But...I'd like to know how severe of a reflex deflex  shape you shaped it....a true pyramid front profile really isn't the best front profile for a more pronounced reflex deflex  side profile...its usually best to carry the width out parralel to at least mid limb to have more support to the added stress and you wouldn't have to start as wide at the fades if you changed your front profile

Offline Orangeman89

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »
Blackhawk,
Thanks for the info.  I will get a picture of the blank tomorrow so that you can see the amount of deflex/reflex. 
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage bow design query (pics added)
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 12:41:16 am »
I'd make the bow 66"t/t, 1 3/8" to 1 5/8" wide at the handle and out 8" then a straight taper to 1/2" tips(for now).    After a drying out period I'd go ahead and take it down to floor tiller stage. Be sure the back is well sealed!!! Please give this stave plenty of time to season. It will make a lot better bow if you do. If you already have plenty of osage, go for it but if this is your only osage stave, give it time to cure. You won't regret it.  ;)
 I've hunted tree stands with a 68" bow with no problems. You do have to do a little preliminary work with prudent pruning, etc so your range of movement is maximized so you can shoot the long bow from a tree stand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:15 am »
I'd go with Pats dimensions  but have to disagree that you need to leave it for a long time to dry. Why will he not regret it Pat? Is there magic going on!!!! ;)
All that matters when it comes to making a bow from a stave you've dried yourself is the moisture content %. If this stave was left in my shop for years it still wouldn't be ready....thats because the r.h. in there is too high for the wood to fall below about 13-14%. If however I reduced the thickness down to floor tiller and put it in a drier place then it could be ready in a week or two.
Drying wood is not magical it just comes down to r.h. and temperature.
Only one you start getting into things like gitars, violins etc does the age of the wood matter. Also workability in it's finest sense is different in old wood/new wood.
For a bow moisture content is all that matters (assuming it's a sound stave!).
I've made bows that have shot 180fps at 10 gpp with wood that was growing a month previous....and they still shoot that fast.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:22 am »
What Pat said, dimensions/sealing the back and seasoning. Yes Mike I guess their
is some Magic going on. Also Trad/Primitive folks do hunt from trees and 66 is just fine for that.I do it all the time. Ant sure where you must hunt from the ground comes from, wasn't there but will guarantee the primitives hunted from elevated positions.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:04:16 am »
That certainly is a premium looking stave you have there Mark. So I think you have several options available to you. I like Pat's suggestion. But first you need to consider what your stave has to offer at this point. It may be dry at this point, but still green. Like some of the others, I too have had better luck with well seasoned Osage than just dried. Man, I sure would like to know Mikekeswich's secret with working with green Osage!

That slight deflex right out of the handle, will, IMO, slightly hinder a straight longbow design of that length. Osage is heavy and elastic so you would want to shorten it's working limbs with a longer riser/fades, and/or that 8" rectangular section past fades and then 'start limb taper' that Pat mentioned. And since your fades are already short at this point, and you have some R/D working for you, why not put it to use.

You could cut you bow length back to 64" ntn (plenty for your desired draw length) and slightly flip the tips. Floor tiller your bow out to where your limbs are moving real good and then place in an environment that'll get you 7-8% MC for a week or so. Then put the heat gun to it and see if it's ready for forming.  Lots of info around about flips the tips if you don't know already. Good luck..........Art B

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:07:54 am »
Good to see you back around, Art.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 10:18:03 am »
Holy crap....artsy fartsy is baaaaaack!!!!!! :)  :laugh: