Author Topic: Hickory heart wood for longbows?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Hickory heart wood for longbows?
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:31 pm »
Anybody have any experience with Hickory heart wood as a Belly material for longer bows?

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Hickory heart wood for longbows?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:22:55 pm »
I have made a 50 inch kids bow that is made out of heart wood. The bow shoots fast for a kinda bow. I haven't chronod it but it is a shooter.i started on one for myself but I dried it too fast and it cracked.
Chasing a ring on a piece of hickory is a pain. Ya won't need your draw knife. The growth rings are only about a mm thick.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:37:20 pm »
DUDE!!! I just made one today lol. Just got done heat treating it. I did shoot it a few times and it shoot great. 66" long 1 1/4" wide bend through the handle. 50# @27" its sapwood back with heart wood belly.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »
interestingly enough, the one i made of hickory happens to be very thick ringed, i think part of this has to do with the species of hickory you wind up working with.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:26 am »
Haven't noticed any difference between heart/sap wood on hickory.  I've made a few calico bows that had both and they just look purty ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:49:28 am »
  You don't have to chase a ring with HICKORY. I'll bet it was a pain. I use the ring right under the bark. If you heat heart wood becarefull it's easy made brittle. I prefer white wood but have made a few with just heart wood alot  combo.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:10:30 am »
Crooket,
To get to the heart wood of a 25 inch piece of hickory you do. It was a real pain took like 4 hours. BTW I wont do it any more. High quality hickory is as common here as flies on crap.
Greg

Offline Nashoba

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »
I have never had any trouble with hickory heart wood whether it be on the belly or the back. Personally I prefer the more mature wood on the outer rings over the juvenile wood in the center, but I honestly could not tell you the difference in hickory.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:06 pm »
This sounds like an interesting thread...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:11:35 pm »
DUDE!!! I just made one today lol. Just got done heat treating it. I did shoot it a few times and it shoot great. 66" long 1 1/4" wide bend through the handle. 50# @27" its sapwood back with heart wood belly.

Pics?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:13:56 pm »
So then hicklory heart wood makes a fine belly.  How is it as a backing?  I had read/heard that you definately only want the sap wood for that?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:16:50 pm »
Ill see if i can post a link to the pics. Yeah sap wood is much better in tension.

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 04:00:00 pm »
Sapwood may be the ideal for a backing but heartwood works just fine. I've done about 15 or so with heartwood backings and no problems at all.
I haven't used heartwood for bellies so I dunno!