Author Topic: Fletching  (Read 1914 times)

Offline munkinstein

Fletching
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
I'm hand fletching arrows and some of the barbs are refusing to stay together, how will this affect hte flight of my arrows, if at all?

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Fletching
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:41:49 pm »
You will probably not notice and fly problems, but you will get noise.

Offline Griffin027

• -Neosho, MO
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:49:04 pm »
I've had good luck steaming the feathers after they have been attached to the arrow shaft then "zipping" the barbs together. If the quill was bent though it could be beyond repair? Hope that helps!
~ Levi from SW Missouri ~

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:08 pm »
Try just getting your feathers wet.
That is all I do.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:55 pm »
I've had good luck steaming the feathers after they have been attached to the arrow shaft then "zipping" the barbs together. If the quill was bent though it could be beyond repair? Hope that helps!

The quill is fine, the barbs just separated when I was fletching, they are being stubborn I guess. I'll try this and wetting them.  Thanks for your advice!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:38:44 pm »
If you purchased the feathers from a craft store, some oil can help too. Make sure it is rendered fat. Veggie/olive oils work too, thats what I use.
Waterproofs too!
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:56:52 am »
A little steam from a tea kettle in that spot might just do the trick. If the fletch goes over an uneven area like a node in a cane arrow it might not be fixable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC