Author Topic: Tough Ring Chasing...  (Read 4367 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tough Ring Chasing...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 04:49:32 pm »
Im with you Lennie. I dont own TBB 3 or 4 and am quite suprised at the direction given for BW? Seems odd the writers would suggest as such?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »
Tom, I kind of see what you are saying, and I definitely know what you mean when you say how hard it is to see the rings, but why can't I make the bow via TBB4 with some sapwood and some 'heartwood'.

TBB4 also says that the heartwood has slightly better bow characterstics than the sapwood, this would generally indicate more than just a differnce in color. But IDK, I haven't really looked into too much.

From your and Drum's advice, I'll make the next one with just the sapwood and with some heartwood in the handle.  :)

Kinda commited to the one stave now though.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 05:04:15 pm »
I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I just want you to know why its so hard to see a ring in this stuff.  its not like hedge or a ring-porous wood where you've got that nice whitish crispy weak layer to guide you.  I would maybe go down to all heartwood and back with rawhide, the rawhide would let the brown color of the wood come through.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 05:14:43 pm »
Ah...
Maple is a diffuse-porus wood, right? CS, try either polishing the wood, or try wetting it, then letting it dry. IME, it is easier to tell where rings are in wet wood.
I have not tried walnut, and most of my woodworking experiance is not with bows.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »
I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I just want you to know why its so hard to see a ring in this stuff.  its not like hedge or a ring-porous wood where you've got that nice whitish crispy weak layer to guide you.  I would maybe go down to all heartwood and back with rawhide, the rawhide would let the brown color of the wood come through.

I've got some rawhide so I'll definitely keep that as a back up option and I'll try wetting the back today. Thanks again guys.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 05:20:51 pm »
If you find a way to see the rings, take a photo and post it so we'll see what to look for.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:11 pm »
If you find a way to see the rings, take a photo and post it so we'll see what to look for.

I'll do some work on it today and post pics today or tomorrow.  :)