Author Topic: hickory question?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline bushboy

hickory question?
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:42 pm »
A few years back I bought a board and it was quite pinkish in colour ,I roughed out a bow and broke it juring floor tiller!was wondering if it was the wood being on the way out when harvested ?when I logged I saw the same thing in spuce when the tree was dieing of old age! Or maybe my lack of skill.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: hickory question?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »
Considering hickory doesnt break really and you know what time it is with a rasp in your hand, Id almost bet you got ahold of bad wood!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: hickory question?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »
Some hickory heartwood I've seen is pinkish, but it could also be that it was infected with a mold that weakened it.  And then some particular pieces I've used were just more brittle than the average for whatever reason.  I tend to find an older tree to have more brittle wood than a younger tree, that based on some limited observations of course.  My favorite trees are 8-12" diameter, skinny enough that each ring has seen a substantial amount of stress during the growing season.  Those older trees, the outer rings tend to be thinner and I thin the latrge amount of wood in the interior may be protecting the newer wood from being strengthened by periodic stress from wind etc.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO