Author Topic: Finally have a stave.  (Read 1436 times)

Offline kinslayer1965

Finally have a stave.
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »
Finally got my BL stave today and everything looks great. It was cut in January debarked and sealed on the back and ends. I planned on resealing and sticking it in the closet for as long as needed to dry out but have read a few post indicating it might be preferable to rough out the bow shape before storing. Looking for input on that and wondering about possibly backing this bow (future bow I hope) in some manner. The stave is 59" and as I said before I want to build what the wood leads me too but if I were to back it would I be able to get a 29" draw out of this stave?

Working on my third red oak board bow. Amazingly enough the first one is still going strong. Second one is in two pieces on my dining room table so I have to look at it every time I head to the garage to work on my first and third bow! Making my own strings is now one of my favorite things to do. Even making them for a friend of mine who is into traditional archery. Friend of mine came by my office today with a bag of turkey feathers so I can sort through them as the mood suits me. I have just gained a whole bunch of hobbies that are very rewarding (even the uh ohs and mistakes) and the perfect way to wind down from a day in the construction industry.

Thanks again to all involved with this forum.

CR
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Finally have a stave.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »
come on and good luck!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »
You better make it a bend in the handle bow at the very least...flipping the tips will help the string angle and the bow from stacking....it could be done unbacked but that's pushing it..and your tiller better be dang good....rawhide might not be a bad idea for you..but your tiller will still have to be good......good luck

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:18:52 pm »
Thanks for the advice Blackhawk.  Luckily I have some time while it dries to consider my options. I think like you said a bend through the handle is probably the best bet. Flipping the tips sounds good as well. Sinew sounds like a good option but not sure I am up to that skill wise just yet. I will try and find a buildalong with rawhide backing and do some research.

CR
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »
CR, Blackhawk gives good advise...but generally the tension side of locust isn't the problem. Locust has a tendancy to fret easily if overstressed. Keep the belly dead flat and get it bending through the handle. The flipped tips are always a good idea on a short bow but it does add more stress to the bow so just be aware.
  You can take that stave down to floor tiller stage now. I would bind it to a form(a 2x4 works) to prevent twisting and warping and set it aside for a few months at least.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:53:35 pm »
When it is time to build your bow, locust lends itself well to belly tempering. That will help with the fretting problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC