Author Topic: Willow deflex-recurve  (Read 10851 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Willow deflex-recurve
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:18:11 pm »
I was thinking today, and was like, Willow is a weak, brittle wood, but couldn't you make a recurve-deflex out of it? It would be under little to no strain when braced, and would shoot faster than a deflex-tip design, as was used by the Southwest indians and egyptians.
Just a thought, want to know if anyone has tried this. Thanks!
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

blackhawk

Re: Willow deflex-recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:23:57 pm »
Don't you have access to better wood?

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:19:32 pm »
I do, but I want to try this. All I have seasoned right now is a single 38 inch piece of BL, 3 inches diameter. I am going to split it into arrow stock.
It was cut a week ago. I pulled the bark off yesterday.
It is seemingly dry enough...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:17 pm »
personally I wouldn't waste my time, i'd just as soon get a board and chase a ring, jmo, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »
Really? 1x2's of oak are really not all that great shooters.
Besides, plenty of string follow and some splinters, great fun.
I suck at making bows with just hand tools. So how essential is a flat belly on an oak bow?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:52 pm »
I suck at making bows with just hand tools.
Then practice and get better!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:23 pm »
 a red oak board bow will seem like a flight bow compared to willow, and as far as set and splinters sounds like selection and tillering, but I didn't say get a oak board, I much prefer hard maple
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »
I'm not here to crush your dream.  If you wanna try a willow deflex recurve than go for it.

However, about your statement:

Besides, plenty of string follow and some splinters, great fun.
I suck at making bows with just hand tools. So how essential is a flat belly on an oak bow?

I have seen well executed 1X2's of red oak that shot above of 170 fps.  A well designed piece of red oak can make as stable and hard hitting of a bow as you could ask for, and with not much effort.  Might be worth looking into.  But I really think you should try willow if you've got the itch.  Bow making is all about the journey. And maybe you will find something others haven't discovered.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 07:37:22 pm »

Better than Christmas trees.... And besides you'd actually have to make a bow out of red oak in order to complain about them.

edit... My bad I thought you were squirrel slayer...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:02:39 pm by Cardboard_Duck »
>>>---------->

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:43:04 pm »

Best advice I can give you is; be patient, and use the best bow wood you have access to. Even if its red oak. Which has been proven many times over to make a great bow.

Clatskanie, Oregon

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:44:30 pm »
I have. 3 of them.
ALl have sucked enough I do not call them bows, except one, which is 35 pounds(and feels sluggish).

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
So now you're blaming the red oak? Because YOU made those three failures? And now you expect miracles from willow?

I've had enough with this troll.

Don't feed the troll.

Don't feed the troll.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
So now you're blaming the red oak? Because YOU made those three failures? And now you expect miracles from willow.
I've had enough with this troll.
Don't feed the troll.
Don't feed the troll.
Well, that wasn't nice. More importantly though, would it be considered troll slaying or troll slinging?  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:27 pm »
Whereabouts do you live?  Since i've moved to the perpetually grey-and-moist Boston area the red oak bows i've made have taken more string follow then I expected.  The best solution i've found is to heat treat them.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 08:13:20 pm »
let me help you out here. I will tell you that red oak is a decent bow wood. Its ALL in the design, board selection, tiller, ect. There is so much that goes into making a successful bow. you have to be aware of what your using. Splinters depends on how your working your bow. i round the backs edges before i even start tillering. splinters shouldn't be a big issue if you got a nice piece of wood. as for it being sluggish, i would prefer to think thats just bad tillering or whatnot. the best bow i made was for my sister, plenty of set and was only 3/4 inches wide, 56 inches long, and it shoots like a dream. I think the common mistake is that tips are WAY to thick or way to wide. and the other thing that may effect this is the style of the belly. her bow is FLAT belly. another that i made was slightly convex and it took tons of set. I think it is VERY important to select a GOOD style for your bow, if you dont you run the risk of set, which robs from the cast.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)