Author Topic: First Bow - Reached Full Draw - Questions  (Read 7715 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: First Bow - Reached Full Draw - Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:52:12 pm »
karaterick......I wanted to mention to you there are two things that put set on a bow from use.Taking into consideration that your wood is dry and tillering is spot on.Bracing time and overdrawing.Bracing set shows over a longer period to notice but overdrawing is intstantanious.I like to have my bows braced the lowest they can shoot without the arrow nock on the string as it leaves the bow and into paradox.This will get the most string travel out of your bow to your arrow.
Your bow is a pretty good looking bow for your first one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline karaterick

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:10 pm »

Well, not that I should feel ashamed to be such a nincompoop, but what exactly is set?

Offline karaterick

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:10 pm »

Also, since I haven't backed my bow yet, is it too late to use a wood backing since the limbs already are curved? I think I should probably back it, but even though it's my first bow I want it to look nice.

Offline randman

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 11:53:22 pm »
That's a damn fine bow for a first or the 100th! What's the weight on that thing? looks pretty stout in the pics. Is there some reason why you think it needs a backing? If you put a wood backing on it you're going to have to tiller it all over again. You could back it with linen or silk and not have to re-tiller (DON'T go for the f#%&*glass drywall tape). Good job on your first. We all know we'll be seeing more from you because you're hopelessy addicted now. You can never build just build one.

Set is when the bow is still curved toward the string when you unbrace it. (also could be called string follow- although there'll be some that will tell you they aren't exactly the same thing- just related is all). Show us an unbraced pic and we'll be able to tell how much set it took (assuming it was perfectly straight when you started). Also, a back profile view would also be useful.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:34 am »
I don't blame you for wanting your bow to look nice,and I think since your bow has'nt broke yet there is a need for a backing.You hav'nt mentioned what you want to back your bow with[snake skin etc.].Set happens and that's all there is to it.You can compensate for it by starting with some reflex on your bow before tillering.Since we hav'nt seen the bow at rest we can't see how much set the bow has.Set is how far your limb tips have moved towards you at rest from where you started tillering your bow from.If you are unfamiliar with the archery terms and language you might want to get familiar with that.Chances are you have a fine bow there.
Sorry I see randman has explained things pretty well to you.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 12:23:14 am »
I'm almost sorry for mentioning set to you to worry about.For now it looks like you have caught on to the tillering phase of bow making and that is very very important.
BowEd
Ed

Offline karaterick

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:36 am »
This should show the set. Not sure if it's excessive or not.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 10:47:54 am »
Don't look to bad to me,especially if it was just flat to start with no reflex,great looking first bow,very nice job.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline karaterick

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 10:52:45 am »

Thanks!! It was pretty much completely flat. Measurement from each limb to the floor is about 2" now.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 10:53:13 am »
A little set is unavoidable and some would argue beneficial.  If the limbs take no set they are probably too massive IMO.  My sweetest shooters have a little string follow.  Heat treat a little reflex into them.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline karaterick

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 10:58:12 am »

My next step is still what I am going to do about backing. I want wood, but not if I have to re-tiller. I would be tempted to just have no backing, stain the bow and call it a day, but there was a little runoff on the grain. I don't think it was real bad, but I would hate to come this far and loose the bow.
 My other alternative is probably just cotton or brown paper. Not what I wanted, but I may not have a lot of options at this point..

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 11:45:01 am »
That's special. Set looks quite acceptable and even if it were not I'd tell you to enjoy your bow. The time to back it is before you string it for the first time. So you are done. Nice job. Tiller is excellent. Enjoy.

I wish to call your attention to one thing for future reference. How did we know the top limb needed some scrapes? Look at the handle. Top is tipping towards you. After awhile you'll be able to tell if your bow is well tillered just by drawing it and sensing handle pressure. When I go out to test shoot it for the first time I pay particular attention to that handle pressure not even worrying yet about how the arrow flies.

Have fun.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline karaterick

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »

Thanks George!

One more question - How far do I cut my arrow rest above center of the handle. How deep should I cut it and how high?

Thanks

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 01:48:40 pm »
there is no need to back that, great job on your first, as far s a rest go an inch and a half above center, and you don't have to cut one in, you can do a floppy rest, builtup leather or half a golf tee head will all work great just get the handle comfy first
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline karaterick

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 05:53:57 pm »

This thing is a shoota'!!! I cut the rest then went out and fired some arrows into (through) some hay bails. I have to say I can not believe how straight this bow shoots or how hard it hits. Can't believe I made this out of a plank of wood. I AM HOOKED!!!!!  ;D