Author Topic: Passing it on..  (Read 2145 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Passing it on..
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
Indianguy posted a thread for beginners recently.  He hit the nail on the head with passing on traditions.  We as hunters are our worst enemy, generally. We don't share our hunting with newcomers, and are tight lipped with secrets..
 Not so with the bowyers, you guys are a wealth of information, I'm a sponge wanting to learn.

The weather was great this past weekend, I was outside near the firepit whittling on an osage stave when my 2.5 year old daughter, said "give me" ..  and took the rasp and for 20 minutes mimicked the things I was doing...   I promised her if I ever learned what I was doing, that I would pass it on to her...  She has a brother due to arrive in June, Ashton Archer... :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Passing it on..
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:56:14 pm »
Wow!!  What good learner she will be!  Look at that concentration.  Good job Dad!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:23 pm »
gotta teach her to hold that rasp by the right end first  ;)

cool pic!!

I don't remember my daughter ever showing any interest in making a bow but she surely seemed to
enjoy shooting with me.
little piece of advice- when she starts shooting be sure to take plenty of pics. I'm sad to say that I don't
have any pics of my daughter and myself shooting together.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »
Got to make ya smile  ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
great picture wapiti,
kids learn the best by just hanging with us, while we do stuff...till its just the most natural thing to do.
heres a pic of MY daughter (a little older than yours) fine sanding her first bow...a good ol' reliable hackberry.
we made it together, she now has two boys of her own, and yep they are already starting...
made a little bow for my grandson last summer they were visiting..he was shooting arrows all over the place.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:45 pm »
sweet pics guys and good on you for passing it on.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:01:21 pm »
Nice pics guys. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:17:04 pm »
I'm a sponge still soaking in everything i can too friend! That's a nice looking hackberry bow. Good for you teaching your young ones.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »
gotta teach her to hold that rasp by the right end first  ;)

cool pic!!

I don't remember my daughter ever showing any interest in making a bow but she surely seemed to
enjoy shooting with me.
little piece of advice- when she starts shooting be sure to take plenty of pics. I'm sad to say that I don't
have any pics of my daughter and myself shooting together.

She informed me that it was a pull rasp not push!  How could I argue?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:34:58 am »
I was workin on my first set of arrows and my 2 year old decided to help me scrape a little. He seemed to enjoy himself.
My daughter asked me "why are you so good at makin bows"? I told her a lot of guys are better at it than me and it just takes practice.
They really think I know what I'm doin' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
She wants to make one of her own  ;D :)
Sure hope they keep interested.
Great post wapiti