Author Topic: Ever buy wood for something else, and end up turning it into a bow...  (Read 2227 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I got a piece of red oak yesterday to make a hand sanding jig thingy, but I realized the darn thing had perfect straight grain with no run off for about 6 feet or so. No knots. And it is some of that denser light colored red oak, not the light brittle crunchy pink stuff. Nice thick rings and minimal early wood. Darnit, I think I have to make a bow now, I didn't even want to... Which sucks cause now I have to buy another board...  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Marks

I feel real bad for ya ;)

Offline Joec123able

Forgett the jig !!! Lmao time for a new bow !
I like osage

Offline dwardo

Plenty of other wood out there to make a "hand sanding jig thingy" ;)

Offline toomanyknots

I hate when I need a piece of oak for something. Walking into hd or menards to pick up a board for something quick, is like walking into a big isle full of 100s of naked women in a row, and somehow I am supposed to not look at them?  :o I always end up looking for straight grain hickory for like an hour, no matter what I do... and then I have to put it all back,... all sloppy and such... haha

Offline sleek

100s of naked women? I need to shop where you shop....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DuBois

Well damn the bad luck! :'(

Sure wouldn't need to Buy any wood  :embarassed:

Offline Bitterguy

I hate when I need a piece of oak for something. Walking into hd or menards to pick up a board for something quick, is like walking into a big isle full of 100s of naked women in a row, and somehow I am supposed to not look at them?  :o I always end up looking for straight grain hickory for like an hour, no matter what I do... and then I have to put it all back,... all sloppy and such... haha
100s of naked women are you sure you're in homedepot?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Marks

Sounds like the bunny ranch. That place has tons of naked women and a lot of wood to coincidentally.  >:D 

I still have yet to see a bow stave and get the same feeling as seeing naked women. I guess I just dont have the fever you guys do. And if it alright with you I'm gonna keep it that way.

Offline toomanyknots

Well damn the bad luck! :'(

Sure wouldn't need to Buy any wood  :embarassed:

I nominate this joke for the best joke in this thread.  :)

I still have yet to see a bow stave and get the same feeling as seeing naked women.

If I came across the right stave... I might just leave my wife, and get married to a piece of osage. Ya I'm bad off anymore.  ;D I would rather be like one of those paligamists out west though, and marry like 50,  >:D.

Offline DuBois

If I came across the right stave... I might just leave my wife, and get married to a piece of osage. Ya I'm bad off anymore.  ;D I would rather be like one of those paligamists out west though, and marry like 50,  >:D.

I think this bow making has saved my marriage, when the wife says no I can just slip off to play with my wood in the basement. At least the wood doesn't say no!

And by the way, be careful what you say. I almost got in trouble at work when I said "I'm gonna take break and go in the back and pull my sinew".  ;)