Author Topic: Where Do I Cut My Arrow Rest?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline karaterick

Where Do I Cut My Arrow Rest?
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:37:59 pm »

Finishing up my bow and I need to know where to cut my rest.? How high above center? How deep? How high from bottom of rest to top of cut-out?

Here's the link to my specific bow if you want to check it out for reference - http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38598.0.html

Thanks,

Rick

Offline Rufledt

Re: Where Do I Cut My Arrow Rest?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:43 pm »
I generally don't cut in an arrow rest.i either shoot off the hand or glue on a rest.  This way it's removable and doesn't weaken the handle.  That's just personal preference, though.  Also I find cut in rests take much longer to do than glue on or no rests.

Offline karaterick

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »

Thanks for the info. I think I definitely want to cut a rest though. Since this is my first bow and since I haven't backed it I will probably make this more of decorative piece than anything. Of course I'll shoot a few arrows through it, but this has been my experiment and I will use the knowledge and insight I have gained to perfecting my next bows :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:15 pm »
1 1/2" -2" above center on a symmetrical bow is common practice for an arrow pass or shelf.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:16:51 pm »
yep, so either way wherever your hand is supposed to go its going to be a bit above there.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:34 pm »
I grab the riser with my hand where I think it should be, and mark the bottom of the cut in just a little bit above my hand, and that's where I cut it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »
I grab the riser with my hand where I think it should be, and mark the bottom of the cut in just a little bit above my hand, and that's where I cut it.

Same here.  I hold it and get my hand nice and comfortable on the grip and then mark where the arrow would rest right above my index finger.  I don't really cut in a shelf, I file in a dished out area and make a radius on it from belly to back so the arrow is only contacting a small area of the bow.  I build the rest up out of leather.  It is quieter and I think it looks better than a cut in shelf.  In fact, I just finised doing this to my trade bow about 5 minutes ago. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline karaterick

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

Thanks guys. Arrow rest is cut. Not as pretty as I as hoping for, but probably not too bad. I don't have much in the way of tools.