Author Topic: Is this a Sweetgum tree?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Tzuridis

Is this a Sweetgum tree?
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:50 pm »
Hi my names Ted, Im new here. I have tried to make a few bows before with utter failure :). Most recently with a crab apple tree someone cut down, but unfortunately that didnt work either.

Anyway I found a lot of these trees in the woods in Eastern NC. I believe they are sweetgum trees but there are no spiky ball fruits any where to be found. Does anyone know if this in fact some type of fruitless sweetgum tree? Could it be since all the trees around are so young they do not produce the spiky ball fruit yet?

Thank you for reading and replying.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Is this a Sweetgum tree?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:19:33 pm »
ya dude looks like a sweetgum.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Tzuridis

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »
Ok thank you

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:29:53 pm »
the leaf is sweetgum,
but that bumpy barked tree there looks a lot like a hackberry. we don't have sweet gum in the wild here though in NE Ok.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Tzuridis

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:33:50 pm »
Yea thats what I thought at first but I cant find any other types of leaves other than the one I took a picture of.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »
I wouldn't rule it out cause of the bark.  I've seen some pretty weird bark on sweetgum trees.  The bark will be a lot softer than that of hackberry.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Tzuridis

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:51:45 pm »
I read a couple of times on here that sweetgum wood is good for bows just as hackberry is. Correct? If thats right then it wouldnt really matter would it?

Offline osagejack

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:42 pm »
that is without doubt sweetgum leaf  hackberry tree

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »
You may want to check out the wood property stats for this wood, the sweetgum in the U.S. isn't the same gum tree found in Austrailia and isn't related to the eucalyptus (sp?) family.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »
Sweet Gum is a lovely carving wood.  If those bow properties aren't steller I'd say let it get bigger.

Offline Tzuridis

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »
Ok thanks guys