Author Topic: Looking to buy a bandsaw, any recommendations? I'm willing to go up to 700...  (Read 7316 times)

Offline toomanyknots

My bandsaw is not doing it for me lately, and I am in the market for a good dependable bandsaw. I have searched the nethers of craigslist in my area, to no avail. Although I would rather buy it new and get a manual/warranty anyway. What I need it to do most importantly is resaw laminates and backings, etc. So at the most I only need it to be able to resaw about 2", and be able to rip a 80" piece of hickory/osage/ ipe into backings and laminates without taking a year. I am considering a grizzly from amazon, as they seem to be priced good. I was wondering what the most horsepower I should shoot for? Anybody got any recommedations?   
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Joec123able

You can them a lot cheaper then 700 !
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I don't think you can go wrong with Grizzly! I bought mine many years ago and it is still going strong after many many bow staves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kinslayer1965

Wow! I went to the grizzly.com website and was drooling all over myself. They had some very reasonable prices on some nice tools.
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

blackhawk

A 14" craftsman....basically same saw as a grizzly for half the price. I've had zero issues with mine zipping thru meaty osage staves and cutting lams....the boys at twin oaks use em too.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

I have the big JET withe riser block and like it.
105" blade.  I use a 4tp skip tooth resawing blade. 1/2" wide.  Tends to lase a year or so cutting Ipe and Hickory and bamboo.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:17:16 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline rps3

They have a shop fox 1706 at a tool shop by me ,14", 1 hp, cast iron wheels, enclosed cabinet, for 499, brand new. Good reviews. I think I will get one if I can get it past my wife.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I would recommend at least a 14" and 1hp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->

Couldnt agree more, and you will still make her "work" with certain staves.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

They have a shop fox 1706 at a tool shop by me ,14", 1 hp, cast iron wheels, enclosed cabinet, for 499, brand new. Good reviews. I think I will get one if I can get it past my wife.

Haha. Outlaw, I have not seen that 30th anniversary grizzly, looks nice. Good price too! Might just go that route! Blackhawk, I will check the local sears out to see if they have any close to me, thanks for the heads up. So, would 1 hp do the job? Would it do the job quickly, or will it still take a minute to resaw a 7 foot long 1 1/2" tall piece of hickory?

Offline toomanyknots

Couldnt agree more, and you will still make her "work" with certain staves.

With a 14" with bandsaw with a 1 hp motor, will resawing a 7 foot long 1 1/2" to 2" high piece of hickory/ipe/osage go slow? With a brand new wood slicer blade on my 10", it is decent when the blade is brand new, but soon starts to become snail slow to eventually impossible once the blade starts to get dull,... which seems to be very soon with these blades. I am looking for something that will resaw it pretty quick.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re-sawing boards is easy. Its those 4 x 4 osage staves that bog it down here and there. I have a 14" Grizzly and beat the heck out of it, it loves nasty treatment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

Re-sawing boards is easy. Its those 4 x 4 osage staves that bog it down here and there. I have a 14" Grizzly and beat the heck out of it, it loves nasty treatment.

Music to my ears.  ;D What horse power ya got?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I think the 14" Grizzly takes up to a 3/4" blade. If you plan to do a bunch of resawing you might go a bit bigger so you can use a resaw blade.
  My 14" x 1hp does all I need it to do.