Author Topic: Serviceberry Semi-Gullwing bow  (Read 18260 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Serviceberry Semi-Gullwing bow
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:29:58 am »
Nice bend on that bow Zion and real cool primitive looker too. How narrow is it at the arrow pass? Looks like it would be a weak spot there but I hear that hawthorne is some strong stuff. I was eyeing some hawthorne in the woods saturday but unfortunately I can't
cut any trees down there, public land and not allowed.
Really like these bows you've been making. 8)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »
great job Zion,
dang....kinda gives a new definition to "a kids bow"  :)
maybe for us grampas we need to label ours as  oldfarts bows
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline coaster500

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »
Another beauty Zion. Nobody on here can critique your bows cuz they always have perfect tiller. All we can do is drool....90# Holy Crap Boy! I'm a big guy, 6'1" 200lbs and I can barely string a 70# let alone pull the thing to my 28" draw length. I'd sure hate to have to meet you on the wrestlin mat. Any of those guys you wrestle with know what you do on the side for your hobby?

X2
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »
Thanks guys!

Yeah it is good training especially for my shoulders when shooting, + all the work it takes to harvest these darn things. 5 miles for 2 sticks usually lol.

Thanks Majsnuff, it's a great wood but it can be tricky getting the higher weights out of them without chrysals.

Thanks Jmilbrandt

Thanks Randman, it's all about the training methods! Somebody can be bulky but if you don't condition the muscles than their pretty much useless lol. One of my assistant coaches knows i make bows and i think he has a relative that does too.

Pearl i use a bathroom scale with a stick that shows drawlengths at inch incraments. I put the string on the top of the stick and pull the bow down. I read the weight. That's the weight of my bow when drawn. (I know it's accurate because i use it to make sure i make my weight.)

Thanks Greg, it is pretty narrow at the arrow pass. But the wood on this piece is very strong so hopefully it won't blow up too soon  ::) Just sneak in at night and cut em  ;D

Thanks Coaster!

VMB do u think their too big? I could always narrow them down more. I put a pic in for reference.

Thanks for the comments guys i appreciate it!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Zion

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »
And thanks RichardZane  ;D

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 01:55:42 pm »
Thanks guys!

Pearl i use a bathroom scale with a stick that shows drawlengths at inch incraments. I put the string on the top of the stick and pull the bow down. I read the weight. That's the weight of my bow when drawn. (I know it's accurate because i use it to make sure i make my weight.)

I dont think that is going to give you an accurate measurement matey. It is a sweet looking bow but there just doesnt seem to be enough wood there for the 90lbs. I maybe completely wrong but just seems very high for the profile.

Offline Zion

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »
How should i weigh it then? I don't have any other kind of scale. What would make it innaccurate?  ???

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:12 pm »
How should i weigh it then? I don't have any other kind of scale. What would make it innaccurate?  ???

Grab a fishing scale or even some decent luggage scales. The bow handle should be on something solid, a block on a wall or a block nailed to a tree, pulley on the floor maybe. Guess I am saying tillering tree ;)
If I am wrong then apologies in advance and I need to wonder why all of my bows are very light for around the same looking mass as yours.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 03:00:48 pm »
Would be handy if you could weigh the bow its self and let us know how heavy it is, mass seems to be pretty predictable according the the mass theory which always seems to point me in the right direction.

Once again its a lovely bow.

Offline Zion

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »
Ok i weighed it with the string, i believe it's somewhere around .5 lbs, very hard to tell tho, i could easily be wrong.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 03:54:43 pm »
Zion, I love your bows for their simplicity. Like you could just take them out into the woods, bang them against trees and rocks, and still go out and kill something with them. Your tiller is always right on, and you make them out of wood that you harvest yourself! That's what primitive archery is all about in my opinion. I appeciate the fact that you at such a young age have such a passion for this craft, and share your work with all of us. Please keep it up!     Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Horse Thief Killer

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 04:00:36 pm »
Awesome bow. I dont ever comment and I say this is a awesome bow. I would say that it is quite possible for the bow to be 90# at 24. Most of these style bows were that or even higher. You get more bang for your buck with the gullwing and handle style. I am sure that it could handle taking down a buffalo easy with one or two shots. 8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 04:23:40 pm »
Zion I use a digital bow scale that is +/- 1#. We also have a nice digital bathroom scale. I will check one bow both ways and let you know what I find out.

An 80-90# bow takes one heck of an arrow buddy, you can easily get hurt shooting 80-90# bows without shafts in the appropriate range. Its different than plinking around with 40-60# bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 05:18:45 pm »
Ok i weighed it with the string, i believe it's somewhere around .5 lbs, very hard to tell tho, i could easily be wrong.

Thanks for that. I had problems weighing my bows as I didnt have any scales that were light enough, found a set at my local supermarket that were perfect and cheap. I dont think your scales are fine enough to weigh the bow as .5 8 ounce is very light indeed.
If you ever come across a set that will weigh lighter objects please let me know what it weighed. Either way great bow,.

Offline danny f

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »
nice bow i like the primitive look.