Author Topic: Hornbeam flat bow.  (Read 7149 times)

Offline akila

Hornbeam flat bow.
« on: November 13, 2007, 07:51:03 pm »
Hello  again...this is my latest bow that i have made this days.Its a hornbeam  bow.. 70" long, it pulls 40# at 29" full draw.This bow wass a little tricky for the start.The stave wass so twisted that i did not think that i could straighten enugh to make a bow out of her.It wass 90 degrees twisted...but i did some straighten sesion on her and i got it pretty straight.The bow is made with the upper limb a little more weack and the lower limb a little more stiff iff i could say like that.Also the upper limb looks much longer thenn the lower limb becose of the handle design.The  bow is made so that the arrow passes 1" above the true center of the bow.I realy like this wood ..hornbeam... becose the back of the bow looks like an aligator.Here are some pictures..

Offline michbowguy

Re: Hornbeam flat bow.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:06:45 pm »
nice.simple.
great job!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:39:48 pm »
Nice job akila! Looks like you got all the twist out of her, I haven't tried the asymetrical design yet but am thinking I will eventually - tiller looks good.......
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

CHUCKER

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:49:57 pm »
:'( Aman on the twist! I was splitting some last Sunday and I thought it was going to screw its self into the ground. There was no sign that I could see on the bark side that grain was so twisted. Keep up the good work!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 05:34:55 am »
Nice bow,love the color.You are really turning them out.Keppup the good work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 06:07:25 am »
Thks guys ...the bow its not reay perfect straight.One limb still have a little twist,but its not to much so i think it will be ok, hornbeam its a wood that it always twist,but iff you tkae the stave and tie it to something straight for a fiew days it will straighten it self.I have done this with another stave from hornbeam..it wass also verry twisted, and i clamp it to a board for 4 days,whenn it wass fresh cut(green) and she is all most straigth by now.It have just a little twist on the tips.Those last bow that i have made i have made themm verry simple...im just trying to emprove my tehnic for tillerning, and for straighten the wood, etc,etc.Becose all the wood that i have now, its a wood with many problems that i have to deal with so its an exercise for me.Thks again.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 07:39:59 am »
Good straight wood make a fine bow but knotty twisted wood will make you a better Boyer
at least I think it will.When you do get a clean straight piece it seem much easier if you have
been working on rough wood.Seems like you are handling it just fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 11:30:42 am »
good looking bow. I like the color on the back, too. Looks like you did a good job on a challenging piece of wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 12:22:20 pm »
Looks good to me, I have some HHB drying myself, gonna try it out this winter.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:13:28 pm »

Looks like you did a really good job!

I roughed in a couple of bows from hornbeam two weeks ago. They weren't very twisted, got most of what twist there was out with dry heat and forms. I may get started tillering prior to the end of deer season...maybe. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline akila

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 02:25:34 pm »
here in romania 90% from hornbeam trees are twisted.You rarely can see a hornbeam tree that is straigh.But its ok...i realy like this wood...it special.I love that muscle look on the back.