Author Topic: we decided to add bees to the list of projects  (Read 3169 times)

Offline darwin

Re: we decided to add bees to the list of projects
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 04:01:20 pm »
I just cleaned out 16 lbs of honey out of ours at work was going to make some mead, I'm a home brewer on the side

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »
Beekeeping for Dummies is a pretty good source, too.  Pretty cheap on Amazon, too, when you buy a used copy. 

I've been pretty lucky with the bees I've kept. They have all been pretty calm queens for the most part.  Even last summer's Russian bees, and they are supposed to be a hotter bee than the Italian queens I had before.  (It's the queen that gives the orders and sets the tone in the hive.) 

There is something wonderful sitting in a lotus position in front of your hive in the evening with a tablespoon of honey in each palm.  Rather quickly a bee finds the honey and fills up.  Moments after leaving, she comes back with 5 sisters. When they are loaded, each of those comes back with 5 more.  In a matter of a few brief minutes your palms will be slicked clean.  If you think they have left any behind, lick your palms.  All you will taste will be your own sweat! 

DO NOT DO THAT IF YOUR NEIGHBORS HAVE HIVES IN THE AREA!  Several of their bees might get in on the "robbing" and decide to come back in full force to attack your hive.  But it's a great way to get the idea out of your head that your bees want to sting you.  Generally they will only sting if they get pinched in a fold of clothing or if you open the hive without smoking.  Ramping up to attack uses very valuable hive resources and they are in the business of making honey, not spending it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:41 am »
JW,  ;DWhat a picture I have of you sitting in lotus fashion with the bees in the palms of you hands.  ;D  I'll have to try that sometime.   ;D  I used to catch several drones in the fall, paint a small spot on their thorax then take them down the road, release them and see if I could beat them back to the hive.  That's when I had bee fever.

Ever eat a queen cell?  MMMM!

;) have a gooder, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »
That would be a fun hobby, but don't much care for getting stung.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 08:50:05 pm »
You know, I get stung as much now with 4 hives as I did in the summer with no hives.  Getting stung is not all that common, with a little care and preparation.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 12:37:41 am »
Wait till you get stung on a nerve , it will get you thinking a little.
There are a few nerves on your body that can cause the same symptoms as an allergic reaction , one behind your ears somewhere and one for sure on your waist toward you back a little . I got stung on the back at the waistline when a bee found its way into my bee suit, broke out in hives itching all over and burning hot but was not allergy just that little bee hit that nerve perfect , kinda scared me a little , thought my beekeeping might come to an end but glad it didn't I like it to much.