Author Topic: Bad idea to get some sring follow out?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Bad idea to get some sring follow out?
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:40:35 pm »
Ok.

So I'm working on an ELB.  Bamboo/bamboo/Hickory Bloodwood modern tips.  Looks COOL.  Almost bending the way I want it to .  I have that big flat non bending section issue  at the handle area.  GRRRRRR.

The thing is it is taking some string follow.  I don't see any signs of chrysals.  But the string follow is about 2" on each side.

When I glued up the stave I did it flat.  No Reflex. 

I'm wondering if after I get it bending properly, what would happen if I clamped it in on a 1.5" or so reflex form and put it in the oven for 140* for say 4 hours.  Then reexercised the bow?

or just live with the string follow.

I need to revisit my measurements.  I was working from that old PDF of ELB plans floating around.  Let me just say that to keep the "D" profile and have anything worth griping it's been difficult.  When I get the center bending more appropriately I'll have to build up the handle area with cork under the grip.  I'm already at 1" wide and it feels to skinny to hold comfortably.

Man it looks cool though.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Bad idea to get some sring follow out?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:46:53 pm »
you should let us know what the weight is and maybe we will be able to find out if thats natural. id imagine at 90ish lbs its normal. but if its 60 then something is fishy, possibly to much bamboo? if you glued it up then i doubt that heating it would be a good idea. heat will easily ruin glue lines
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »
Hickory is just really inappropriate for a crowned belly such as an ELB, especially when put under even more compression due to a bamboo backing. This has been discussed recently (please catch up in this thread). So your problem with set is due to a design flaw. The bow being too narrow for the chosen woods, or the wrong choice of woods for the desired ELB design. Since this is a laminated bow, it is really difficult to remove the set. You cannot heat belly temper it, since that will cause the glue to fail. So you should not clamp the bow in reflex and put it in an oven. That will kill the bow. You could consider removing (some of) the hickory belly, and replacing it with a more compression strong wood, while clamping the new bow in some reflex. This is quite a rigorous approach, but it's probably the only way to go if you want to remove the set. On the other hand, set has not killed a bow. It just robs some cast, but it may not hurt the bow itself. So if it stays below 3" total, I wouldn't worry for this bow and just call it an experience for your future bows.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:49:06 pm by DarkSoul »
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:45:46 pm »
Yea.  I should have clamped in a bit of reflex.  I did that a few bows ago and forgot. 

Bow is 45lbs now.

I'm wondering if Hickory Heartwood would have been better to use but it seems like most people tend to avoid it.

My 5year old will now choose a randome selection of faces.  I am not nuts.
 >:D ;D :-X :P

Thanks

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:51:02 pm »
Darnit!  I forgot! 

I'm using a Urea Phermaldohide glue.  Heat after cure is not a problem.  I thought I could save some backing on some blown bows with a heat gun.  Epoxy yes.  Uni-bond (formerly Urac 185) Not so much, UNLESS the mix was off and it never cured.  Otherwise heat hasn't seemed to affect the glue.