Author Topic: Need some advice with boardbow?!?!  (Read 2526 times)

Offline crwjr

Need some advice with boardbow?!?!
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »
I am having some problems with my first hickory boardbow. First off hand shock is almost unbearable after just a few arrows it starts to take a toll. second I think the bow is stacking up short of my full draw. It is around #60 and my draw is 28" but I cant seem to get it back without really straining. it seems to want to stack up at around 24"?? Is there a fix to this situation?? 
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Joec123able

Re: Need some advice with boardbow?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »
Hand shock is from the bow not being tillered perfect or correctly i should say if both tipps dont snap back at the exact same time you will feel hand shock every bow has some bit of hand shock because it's almost impossible to get 100% perfect tiller as for the stack your gonna have to take some weight off if your straining to pull it you will not get accurate
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:58:29 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »
we need some pics if ya can, or a video of you shooting
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:03:25 pm »
Also, get us the full list of dimensions, too.  Especially length from nock to nock, and how much of the grip area is non-bending!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:04:43 pm »
Also, get us the full list of dimensions, too.  Especially length from nock to nock, and how much of the grip area is non-bending!

x2
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crwjr

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:07:42 pm »
Hand shock is from the bow not being tillered perfect or correctly i should say if both tipps dont snap back at the exact same time you will feel hand shock every bow has some bit of hand shock because it's almost impossible to get 100% perfect tiller as for the stack your gonna have to take some weight off if your straining to pull it you will not get accurate
here is a pic at full draw, and it is a bear to get back. I should be able to get #60 no issues but it just dont want to give full draw. I am new to bow building but not shooting them. If "stacking up" is a real issue then this is what is going on with this bow. I do agree with tillering being out of time. guess I should go back to scraping a little. But where?? I dont want to screw this bow up.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:12:23 pm »
Hard to tell sometimes from full draw pics due to how each of us cants the bow, but maybe your bottom limb is a little whippy on the tip area. 

A good way to check tiller is to use a tiller stick to pull the bow to about 16-18 inches and lay it down on a tiled floor.  Make sure the handle is parallel with one of the lines of tile and then use the other tiles to judge which limb is bending more than the other and where that bend takes place.  With fairly straight limbs, they ought to have matching bends.  For example if one limb is bendy at the tip and the other is bendy at the fade outs, then it will have great handshock even if both limbs bend equal distances.

I learned that one the hard way!

Offline crwjr

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:55 pm »
it is 64.5"ntn with about 3" of none bending handle. the bottom limb is 1.5" at fade down to 1" at nock. the top limb is 1.5" at fade down to 15/16" at nock? is a 1/16 making all this ruckus??
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline crwjr

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »
Should I thin the width of my limbs out a little more? 1" seems kinda fat for tips??
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:23 pm »
Yes !!! Thin your width of your tips down to like 1/2 inch
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »
Uh, yeah, pretty fat!

Now is also the last and final time you can correct anything in your tiller, too. 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »
Narrow those tips down! Don't thin them down, but narrow them. The outer two inches need to be ½" wide (keep current thickness). Yes, I truly mean ½" and not secretly a bit bigger. It takes nerves to shave them down to ½" wide, but please do so!
You'll lose at least 75% handshock, if not more.

Also, make sure you got a proper bowstring and the arrows are at least 8 grains in weight per pound of draw weight.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline crwjr

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:41 pm »
Narrow those tips down! Don't thin them down, but narrow them. The outer two inches need to be ½" wide (keep current thickness). Yes, I truly mean ½" and not secretly a bit bigger. It takes nerves to shave them down to ½" wide, but please do so!
You'll lose at least 75% handshock, if not more.

Also, make sure you got a proper bowstring and the arrows are at least 8 grains in weight per pound of draw weight.

Ill shave them down, but from mid limb or from fades?  And yes I need a good string paracord isn't cutting it! And I know my arrows are not the best (just ones I have laying around) I'm going to make some soon!
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline crwjr

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:15:43 am »
I shaved from my mid limb all the way down to a half inch at the nocks, scary thin lol. It does seem to pull a little easier and the poundage is @ 24" #50'ish and @-28" #60'ish, I will get it on the tiller tree again today and make sure everything is looking good then give it a finale sanding and finish! Thanks for all the advice from everyone... Carter
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small