Author Topic: help with first cordage string  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Newindian

help with first cordage string
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:47:29 am »
This is made from Spanish dagger, gets to thin for my liking in a spot about 4mm. The bow it is for isn't finished but I don't think it will be more than 50#. I may be able to do another Flemish loop on the other side to thicken it up. Oh yah don't pay attention to that suspicious looking object in the corner ::)
I like free stuff.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: help with first cordage string
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:29 am »
If it gets thin in an area that means there weren't enough fibers in it so you could just go back and add a few more fibers.  What I do with my agave strings is make a thin string about 14 feet long then double it over on itself.  That way things kind of get evened out.  Not sure how how the flemish loop is going to work with that though. 

When I start making a string I start at the size I want the whole string to be and as I go I'm constantly comparing the newest part of the string to the first part and check the size.  That way I'll have an idea of how many fibers I need to add to keep it even.  Just be a little more careful and slow when you're making your string.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:56:00 am »
I think that the strings that makes up your cords are not equally wrapped. This will cause one to fail.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:00:47 pm »
yeah its pretty important to get an EVEN cord. I'd be careful with that one. :-\    you could hurt someone.
If you really want to make your own strings you'll need to simply put in the time making yards and yards
of it just to get the feel for it....eventually you'll feel with your fingers when to add more.
when you have four or five yards of string you'll be able to pick out a section of even twist.
knots;
one method that works good for cordage bow string without the flemish loop is the knot
you'll find on an old lariat . make a single knot on the end then pull a slip knot to it.
if you aren't sure what i mean i can try to show you with pics.  it works great...and won't slip.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:06:52 pm »
Richard, I'm interested in this knot you speak of!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:37 pm »
sure,
here's the knot that seems to hold up great for me on a dogbane bowstring.
the second picture is from a year old bowstring that finally wore out...but not at the knot!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:38 pm »
so simple!  I like that.  Should you always twist your cordage real tight?  I double reverse twist mine.  Is that a good idea?

Offline richardzane

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:54:59 pm »
for a bowstring i twist it as tight as my hands can twist it , less frays to trimm off and then i beeswax them.
you can actually see the beeswax on these strings.

a double ply ,yes twist each of the two plys the opposite way the cord itself will twist.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:41:43 pm »
I wrote two articles about bow strings for the last two issues of PA mag. I think you would find them very helpful.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 12:05:23 am »
I ended up completely redoing the string, it will be a while till I can see how it holds up to shooting. Came out much more even this time and I made it slightly thicker.
I like free stuff.

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:20:45 am »
I posted this build along last year of my Flemish twist linen string. I believe the only difference between my string and yours is practice.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35214.0.html

For a knot I use a timber hitch.
Scott

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 02:08:31 am »
Question- 1. Does Jute make a good bowstring?
2. does sisal make a good bowstring?
3. I twist my strings a LOT less. And splice, not knot...
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline richardzane

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »
do what works the best for you. best to avoid knots besides the timber hitch, but if they work..use em!
Native American  bowstrings i've seen are all knotted.
My ancestors seem to have been able to survive for thousands of years without a flemish loop...or i wouldn't be here! :)
the nice thing about a natural fiber string is when it breaks, even out in the field, it can be added to and repaired easily.
I doubt you can do that with B-50...

cord twisted tight makes a "tougher" string - compacted ...but it also has more problems with stretch in the beginning.
but dogbane cordage won't stretch too much and its "waterproof"...it was also used for fishing nets.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »
I made a sisal bowstring from fiber last night. Works on a 50 pound recurve, around 3/16 inch thick. Very, very tight twist- not the twist, just under tension every fiber shares load. Faster than my b50 string... its wierd, I guess cause its thinner.
probably less durable though.
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"