Author Topic: Cheers SS  (Read 2463 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Cheers SS
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:46 pm »
well i know SS (squirrelslayer) has not made many freinds here but i think we should open up to him a tad more. as we both live in the UK he sent me one of his maple log off cuts for FREE so because it was way to small for a bow i decided to do something with my lathe. I dedcided to make a bat. in one of the pictures you will see the absence of one of my fingers thats due to a table saw a few years back :laugh: heres some pics. BD

Day 1

Here you can see a knot which i thought was going to be a problem but it turned out pretty good (no pun intened) that was the end of day one.

Day 2

something that looks like a bat but needs some more work shaping and sanding. Heres some close ups.

heres how that big knot turned out (again no pun intended)

Here you can see me using the seperating tool and also the end of my finger that is missing  :-[

and heres where it is now. I still need to apply a finnish to it but thats all for now. Hope you enjoyed this thread and thanks again SS there may be something heading your way soon. BD

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Squirrelslayer

Re: Cheers SS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »
hey bd your welcome, i couldn't really do anything with that as you said it was to small at 20" to make a bow. i could have used it for overlays, looks like it went well. sorry about your finnger :( how long in hours did it take to make? and with your knowlege would you say it's any good for bows? i have 2 billits from the branch that came from. they are currently seasoning but from your pics it looks like it is already dry? again i love what you did with it and im glad you made something from it. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:46 pm »
hey bd your welcome, i couldn't really do anything with that as you said it was to small at 20" to make a bow. i could have used it for overlays, looks like it went well. sorry about your finnger :( how long in hours did it take to make? and with your knowlege would you say it's any good for bows? i have 2 billits from the branch that came from. they are currently seasoning but from your pics it looks like it is already dry? again i love what you did with it and im glad you made something from it. SS

Yes SS it went well that knot scared me for a while but it worked. I would say yes it is a good wood for makin bows however the sawdust is kinda itchy so would advise using gloves. The wood was dry all the way through the log/branch however I think you should leave thoose alone until may. BD
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:54 pm »
Wow a nice looking bat good job! Ive wanted a lathe for along time hopefully one day. Sorry about the finger tho :/
I like osage

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »
Small bat, but nice! Good way to use that wood.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:47:41 pm »
Is it a squirrel bat >:D
I like free stuff.

Offline Matt A

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:38 am »
tire thumper

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:01:02 pm »
I would say yes it is a good wood for makin bows however the sawdust is kinda itchy so would advise using gloves.

yes i noticed that when i was removing the bark. also the peeled bark goes very hard and crispy and it's all over the "workshop" floor and makes a cracking sound whenever i step on it. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee