Author Topic: Pretty sure this is Mullberry am I right ? (tree id)  (Read 4971 times)

Offline seminolewind

Pretty sure this is Mullberry am I right ? (tree id)
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »
Found this tree in the woods near my property. This tree will yeild some very nice staves if it is good bow wood. There are ripening berries on it very broad bright green leaves. I live near Tampa, FL.

Thanks guys !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline nineworlds9

• Toxophile
Re: Pretty sure this is Mullberry am I right ? (tree id)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »
No answer for you I'm a noob at bowyering, but noticed your handle and laughed- we've got a couple buffet restaurants up here in the Tallahassee area called 'Seminole Wind'. Lol

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:26:20 pm »
You are correct that is a Mulberry.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:46:38 pm »
Yeah, it's red mulberry.
Springfield, MO

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »
Looks like mulberry to me.
SW Utah

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:55:04 pm »
Found this tree in the woods near my property. This tree will yeild some very nice staves if it is good bow wood. There are ripening berries on it very broad bright green leaves. I live near Tampa, FL.

Thanks guys !

What you have there is mulberry.  I'm very sure of it.  The fruits are a dead give-away.  Whether it is white or red mulberry I am not 100% sure.  In winter the leaf scars contain 4 or more little dots similar to beech but beech has very obvious bark.  Is mulberry any good for bow wood?

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »
Thanks guys looks like I'll be getting out the saw and some wedges! Anyone have experience with this wood? And wanna give advice?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:47:32 pm »
Yep, Mulberry.  I have never worked with it yet, but I have two staves drying right now that I cut around Xmas.  Been reading up on it a bunch, and discussing it with others.  Seems it is a good candidate for a sap wood back or a hard wood back.  I'm thinking I will make both and judge for myself.  10%-20% wider than Osage seems to be the consensus.  Some are real proponents of it's bow properties!

Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:09 pm »
I just posted a recurve made from mulberry. I've made a few other bows from it and I love it, it's one of my favorite local woods. It's alot like osage just softer. I would go with slimbobs advice just make it 10-20% wider, and I would say he is also right about the sapwood being ok for the back. I've never had a problem with it. It bends very nicely with steam though so I would recommend some recurves.
SW Utah

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
I've used mulberry it's very beautiful wood an it also makes very nice bows
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 07:25:31 pm »
Mulberry is excellent bow wood. Make a mulberry bow 10% bigger than an osage of the same weight. Mulberry is a cousin of osage. If handled properly you can also use the sapwood of mulberry for bows or leave a ring or two on the back of your bow. Makes a nice contrast with the heartwood.
  Mulberry typically has large growth rings. I've seen some that were almost 1/2" thick. The wood is considerably lighter physically than osage and that is what helps it compete with osage as a bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 01:05:00 am »
Hey Pat - when you say if handled right you can keep some sapwood on the mulberry.  If a guy wanted to do this, would you just let it dry with the bark on?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 02:30:34 am »
Make sure you collect the fruit
I like free stuff.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:25 am »
  YEP
  As a kid we'd put plactic down and climb up and shake away. Mom make some awsome jelly and cake. Granddady use to cook and press them but put the juice in in his corn shine. I hav'nt done that but I have added it to HICKORY and MAPLE SYURP. Along with a little honey is not bad.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:40:02 am »
Mulberry is real good bow wood. I've made a couple out of it. Been about 4yrs ago I think. I woould debark it and leave the sapwood on it and seal the back as well as the ends. I did not leave the sapwood on mine and wished I had because its such a nice contrast between the sap and the heartwood.  Looks like a real nice tree. Good find.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God