Author Topic: Awesome find!  (Read 2383 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Awesome find!
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:18:59 pm »
As I was out walking earlier today trying to find something knappable I stumple upon these railroad spikes. I was pretty excited as I've never found any before. They will be going up on the trade forum today. :)
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Re: Awesome find!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
Cool! I had never found one before myself. Then I started going to a local forge, became a member of the club, and discovered that they have a whole bucket of them. I couldn't believe it - especially since they were using them to make knives, axes, hooks, and anything else you can think of.

They look to be in great shape - very little rust. Where did you find them? I've been all over the old ex-train tracks in my hometown and never seen anything.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:16:35 pm »
There's a stream thy runs right next to some train tracks and I found them in between there.

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:12 pm »
Fellers, my dogs and I walk miles of train track every week. If you want I can gather up a couple hundred of these
and send 'em to you if you pay the shipping. Can also do rails, cross-ties and anchors.

Locomotives will cost extra.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »
I collected about a hundred with big plans.....they are just sitting in a give gallon buckets and have been for several years  :o
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline hatcha

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »
"...they were just lying there...  sticking outta the ground...  between some wood and a piece of metal..."

;)

Nice find :D

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »
Well guess they weren't that great of a find since nobody wants them lol. I would use them myself if I could convince my wife that its OK to have 3 or 4 hobbie. So far she ain't buying it LOL. :-\

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:53 pm »
They are a dime a dozen and mostly seen as stolen property. most scrapyards won't take them because a lot of the time, the rail company still technically owns them even if the track is "abandoned"
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »
Yea I'm starting to think that everybody and their uncle has some. Oh well maybe eventually ill get to make some knives out of them. In the meantime if someone on here has some experience with forging knives from them I would love to send one and have it forged into a knife or a hawk. I got some leather I could trade for services.

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »
Fellers, my dogs and I walk miles of train track every week. If you want I can gather up a couple hundred of these
and send 'em to you if you pay the shipping. Can also do rails, cross-ties and anchors.

Locomotives will cost extra.

Can you get a small, cut-down section of rail? I've been looking for a piece of rail to use as an anvil. I imagine that the shipping would be pretty serious.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline darwin

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »
If they have an HC on the top of the head that means they are high carbon other wise the carbon content isn't that great but they make for great practice when forgeing

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »
Yea they have an HC on them.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:44 am »
If they have HC they should be good for knives and such,the ones without that on them are like was said a dime a dozen. Them are the good ones , nice find. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:40 am »
Thanks pappy maybe one day ill get to try my hand at makeing them into knives or hawks.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:11:46 am »
    Same here I know where theres old (little) barrels hafe beired along the tracks.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING