Author Topic: New Ocean Spray, critique appreciated  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Accipiter

New Ocean Spray, critique appreciated
« on: March 15, 2013, 03:21:27 pm »

Just finished a quickie ocean spray sapling bow, 53" ntn and 37# at 26". To my eye it looks like it has a slight hinge about 1/3 up the top limb, but otherwise I'm pretty happy. What do y'all think? Any tiller advice for next time? Also, do you think with a longer piece (60 or 62") I could get a 50+# bow from wood this skinny?

My thumb is at the widest part!

Offline bow101

Re: New Ocean Spray, critique appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:31:47 pm »
"To my eye it looks like it has a slight hinge about 1/3 up the top limb"

Hard to see that hinge from the photo, but it does look pretty good., maybe, just maybe; more bend in outer third closer to tips.   more poundage......? not sure 'bout that with lite stuff.... :o
More photos might help.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
I see that "hinge" area. Midway on the upper. Give the portion after that a few scrapes and I bet she straightens out nicely.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:59 pm »
Good bow for shootin looks like, I'd say the outer thirds of both limbs are a little stiff, leading to more work being done on the inners of both limbs.  She'll shoot though, good work from a stick.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:38 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll definitely be doing a bit of scraping on the outer part. I was scared to take off too much before, since the dimensions are so tiny, but it seems like the wood can take it. Definitely a fun one to shoot, sends an arrow a lot faster than a stick that size seems like it should.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »
Looks very nice! I would love to try some oceanspray someday. I can't see any hinge in the photos, but I agree that you should have a little more bend in the outer 1/3.
SW Utah

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:39:44 pm »
Cool bow man! Just take some wood off the upper fade i think. You could porbably get 70-80# off that kinda piece, here's one i did that's 65#
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »
Wow that's a NARROW bow I don't know anything about ocean spray would love to try it
I like osage

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 07:46:50 pm »
I agree with Zion, between your hand and the hingy area 1/3 the way on the upper limb is where I see a flat spot. I can see you haven't heat treated the thing yet Accipiter. Heat treat some deflex into it and you will gain at least 10 pounds. Ocean spray responds real well to heat treating. Can we see a back profile pic? It don't take much OS to get a 50+ pounder.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:42 pm »
I agree with zion and randman.maybe flip it 180 and take another shot,u will be surprised how much it will change the perspective cuz it looks like your bottom limb is already weaker.I like to hold the picture upside down and see that it's pretty even on my bows with the bottom limb a little stiffer to be prudent.just another idea.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:24:00 pm »
Wow, good ideas, although unfortunately I'll be gone for the weekend and can't put any of them into effect for a bit. I'll post some updated pics when I get back though.

Randman - D-eflex R-eflex? It seems like deflex would take poundage off. As for heat treating, I actually did do a bit on this one (did it fully on my first OS bow and it definitely helps) but only on the area with the slight hinge. It did take a bit of the hinge out, and I'm afraid that if treat the rest of it that will be undone, although I guess I could scrape the face and tip areas to compensate.

Zion - Your bows are scary strong, I'm not clear I could even draw a 65 pounder!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »
I agree with Zion and the others. The handle area is a little flat. A couple of scrapes just outside the top fade would help.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »
I wouldn't quite call that a hinge, just a flat spot above your hand
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline randman

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 05:54:58 am »
Sorry Accipiter, I meant REFLEX
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:00:45 am »
Accipiter,
I'll finish tiller on my first OS tomorrow.  Mine is about the same width as yours but 64".  I decrowned and rawhide backed mine and am going for 55 + lbs.  I'll let you know how it goes..........