Author Topic: Dowel rods??  (Read 3497 times)

Offline crwjr

Dowel rods??
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:44 pm »
Going to attempt my first batch of arrows, and I'm going with dowel rod! My question is what size length and diameter would be best for a 28" #50-60 bow? What grain tip should I go for and overall weight of arrow?? Thanks for any info
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:04:17 pm by crwjr »
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dowel rods??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:23 am »
3/8", straight grain dowels(ramin, poplar, oak, birch) can make good arrows. You may have to sand them to reduce the spine or add length and heavier weight up front. The standard spined arrows are are measured at 28" long with a 125gr point. For each inch over 28" you can reduce the effective spine by 5# per inch and for each 15gr(I think) of tip weight over 125gr you can subtract 5# of spine weight. So, for this same shaft that spines to 75#, cut to 30"(+2"x5#= 65#spine) and if you install a point that weighs 155gr(30gr over 125gr =35# spine). This will give you an arrow that is actually spined at 65# that shoots like a 35# spined arrow.
  I draw 26" on a good day but cut my arrows to 30". I think a longer arrow has a easier time getting around the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:49:31 pm »
3/8", straight grain dowels(ramin, poplar, oak, birch) can make good arrows. You may have to sand them to reduce the spine or add length and heavier weight up front. The standard spined arrows are are measured at 28" long with a 125gr point. For each inch over 28" you can reduce the effective spine by 5# per inch and for each 15gr(I think) of tip weight over 125gr you can subtract 5# of spine weight. So, for this same shaft that spines to 75#, cut to 30"(+2"x5#= 65#spine) and if you install a point that weighs 155gr(30gr over 125gr =35# spine). This will give you an arrow that is actually spined at 65# that shoots like a 35# spined arrow.
  I draw 26" on a good day but cut my arrows to 30". I think a longer arrow has a easier time getting around the bow.
I second that statement about longer arrows. the longer arrow has most of its mass already on target when the end starts to deflect. the end must bend around the handle obediently.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:13:02 pm »
Back in the '90s when my kids and I shot a lot of 3D, I could not afford to keep buying the cedar shafts/arrows (except for me since I didn't lose as many  ;) ) so I used to buy the 48in hardwood dowels for them to shoot in their low weight bows. They were inexpensive at 2 arrows per dowel and we never had a problem with them. I have been running low on arrows lately so I decided to try the dowels for me. I know I must have looked funny at the wood store yesterday sitting on the floor with my spine tester but got 14 pretty good poplar shafts in 5/16 that spined around 40# for a bamboo backed osage bow I made that is 42# at 28". My draw is 27". I got them finished this morning and they fly like darts from the bow with 100 grain field pts. I have not weighed them, but they feel pretty light. When reading up on dowels, a lot of folks felt like the hardwood dowels with less than perfect grain were more brittle and broke more easily. The poplar feel very elastic and shoot well at relatively soft target, but who knows till I hit a tree or something. I did order 100 birch shafts to try them out, though. I'll let you know how they turn out.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
Poplar dowels toughness as long as the grain is straight is equal to or superior to carbon IMO based on hitting hard objects with each. I have poplar arrows that have bounced right off of rocks and hard tree, with no damage save for a blunt tip.

Jon

Offline scattershot

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:15 pm »
Check with American Woodcrafters. They have birch, which makes an excellent arrow. Around $20.00 or so for 50, last time I checked. The 5/16" will spine right around 45#, while the 3/8" go 80#+, in my experience.

Good shooting!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"