Author Topic: Known sellers of Ipe and Jatoba in Washington state?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Known sellers of Ipe and Jatoba in Washington state?
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »
I'd like to find out if there is a dealer in washington state that sells these specific lumbers. If not then my only option is to go online and spend 100+ dollars for some. I have a desire to try a Bamboo backed Ipe or Bamboo backed Jatoba because both are very hard dense woods and would pair well with bamboo as far as ive seen. Is there a good dealer in oregon? idaho? if not is there a advertiser for PA that offers the wood? My goal here in asking is to gather info for now. maybe in a month or two ill take action.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. just thought about it, maybe it should be in "Around the campfire" or something
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:40:00 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Known sellers of Ipe and Jatoba in Washington state?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:47:50 pm »
East teak in Sultan,Wa.  they have ipe,garapa,purpleheart,hard maple and others.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:55:54 pm »
Ipe is used often in the building of high end outdoor decks, so you might look to where the local contractors get their materials (no HD) for leads.  I pay approx 30 bucks for a 1 inch thick, eight foot long, by 5-6 inches wide boards of ipe, just to give you an idea of pricing. 

Russ

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:27:50 am »
Another thing i wondered was, when selecting grain for Ipe and jatoba, i was reading something about it having bias? not sure what that means. whats ideal and whats safely acceptable for ipe and or jatoba bows backed with hickory or even better, bamboo?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:19:17 am »
The ring orientation in backed woods is pretty much irrelevant in my opinion. You can use either flat sawn, quarter sawn or bias/rift sawn. Ignore the rings, but do pay attention to the grain. You need to select the straightest grain possible and must avoid knots. A little bit of grain run off is okay, since you'll be backing it, but do yourself a favour and select the best grain you can.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:18 am »
      In portland is 2 places, gilmore lumber, and crosscut lumber, oh and woodcrafters, they have lumber and tools  >:D took me all day when i wood visit that place. hope this helps.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:55:21 pm »
I've never seen Ipe at Woodcrafters, but I know CrossCut carries it for decking. I expect Gilmore would have it also.
Gordon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »
sounds like when i have the money i have some road trips to take  ::)

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:04:58 pm »
There is  a Crosscut in Seattle as well. I have looked at their website. They say they have Ipe in stock.
It is on my list to get up there, just haven't made it up there yet. Call them before you place an on line order.

Keith

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
can i just go in and look at what they have too?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 05:02:19 pm »
At CrossCut you can walk in and inspect the wood before you purchase it. That's where I get my Ipe.
Gordon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:45:23 pm »
Ok. sounds good to me. Do you know their specific pricing?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »
I buy mine on line and just ask them nicely for a piece of straight grain knot free wood.  Explain that I'm making a bow and please don't give me a piece with a ton of run off or it could blow up in my face.