Author Topic: Fast Flight and Dacron  (Read 2213 times)

Offline hatcha

Fast Flight and Dacron
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »
I'm putting this here as it's not strictly about "bows" but please feel free to move it if you think it needs/deserves to be in the bows section.

The only experience I have with strings (making/using etc) is with Dacron strings - B50 and B55.  I know there are people who advocate one type over the other - regarding FF over Dacron - and I don't want to get into a debate on that here.  I'm just wondering if anyone's ever heard "you can't make a Flemish twist with Fast Flight..." in their travels?

A friend of mine reckons FF is for endless loops only.  I want to know if I need to worry about his brain or not...  :D

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Fast Flight and Dacron
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 05:46:28 pm »
Never heard that one before.  All my flemish strings are FF
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »
Flemish is the only way I've made strings, fastflight and dacron, have never had a problem yet.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:49:40 pm »
Had a buddy of mine try to tell me that too. He tried to explain to me that endless loops were padded better than flemish because of the serving wrap I guess. Didnt really make sense to me so I didnt listen to him. I make strings from fast flight and b-50 and they are all flemish twist. Never had a problem from either of them.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:05:06 am »
Yep.we do it all the time. Flemish twist/B50 or FF either works fine. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:36 am »
Yes, the concern is it takes less strands for FF so the finished string is thinner.  The fear is the thinner string will eventually cut into our selfwood nocks on the bows.  So padding the loops with additional strands is recommended to bring the loop sections back to a thicker diameter.  In an endless loop, the loops get served which adds to the diameter.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline hatcha

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on something so...  ridiculous!

My friend has been a compound hunter (quite successful in South Africa over the years) and has only recently become interested in the traditional side of things - though not as far gone as the primitive side.  :D

My point being - he hears something, or sees an article somewhere with a quote from some guy stating his "opinion" and then possibly takes it as Gospel truth.  I for one am guilty of doing that in my past :)  so I won't hold it against him too much ;)

Yes, the concern is it takes less strands for FF so the finished string is thinner.  The fear is the thinner string will eventually cut into our selfwood nocks on the bows.  So padding the loops with additional strands is recommended to bring the loop sections back to a thicker diameter.  In an endless loop, the loops get served which adds to the diameter.

That's the missing piece I didn't realise I was looking for!!!  Thank you!!  :D

I remembered people saying that FF was hard on selfbow nocks and the recommendation for tip overlays when using it - I just couldn't remember the reason WHY! :D  Thin strings...  Makes sense now

Thanks again, guys.  I'll get this feller edumacated in the long run!