Author Topic: What to look for  (Read 1396 times)

Offline crwjr

What to look for
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:23:49 am »
I was hoping to get someone to post pics of what kind of rocks should I be looking for? I know this is probably an old question but I would like some help. I live in NE Indiana so what rocks do I have around this area? I do have a smaller creek running through my property it stays about 2-3 foot deep most of the year but does rise to over 10' with heavy rains! Would this be a big enough creek to have good rock to knap with?? I don't know much about different rock so please help! Thanks -Carter
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline TRACY

Re: What to look for
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:37:23 pm »
Hey Carter, you will spend a lot of time looking for great rock, but I am certain you can find some knappable chunks to get started on. I have found pockets up by Peru before, so just look for rock that is glassy or slick on the outside and use another stone to break off the edge. Better pieces will not crumble. Good luck and have fun!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline crwjr

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:21:05 pm »

Does this look like anything im looking for? It broke in parts some looked like to me chert, some parts looked to gritty to be chert??? You guys got one confused man on your hands.. I really wished I knew what I was looking for. When you break the rock does it break easily or will it take a ton of effort to break apart??
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:49 pm »
That's called man rock (milky quartz) :). Points can be made, but it is tough stuff! Unfortunately you are in an area that doesn't have a lot of large and good deposits or formations. I spent the first few years down by Monticello looking for chert and would occasionally find small white/grey/ brown pieces in plowed fields or in the creeks/rivers.

It should flake off and have sharp edges on both pieces. Glass such as flat bottle bottoms, plate glass    1/4" thick, and glass tile are all good starter material for starting to knap. If you have a recycle center near, go check out their glass area and find beer or wine bottles that have flat bottoms to practice on.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:08 am »
What Tracy said for getting started. As for when you are out looking for natural rock, take a bopper with you. When you find a rock you want to check out, you only want to knock off a flake from an edge to see what type of stone it is and also to see if it does give you a good flake.