Author Topic: First Osage self bow (new pics)  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

First Osage self bow (new pics)
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:48:05 am »
Here's just one picture of my first Osage bow. It's nearly complete. It was quite the challenge for a beginner. This is just my 4th bow and my 3rd stave bow. It's not perfect by any means, but quite satisfying since it had all the characteristics that make a build "interesting". Lots of knots, some of them dead, plus lots of whoop de doos, one limb reflexed and the other deflexed and twist. Also, it was not quite seasoned enough and was worm eaten. It came in at the low 40s on weight. I've shot it only 8 times (love it) and still have to redo my string grooves and work down the handle area, then put a finish on it. More pics and specs when it's done. Criticism welcome.

This bow is now complete. A big thanks to Blackhawk for all the tips and advice at the Central Kentucky bowyers gathering (Moontree). Here's the specs: 65" ttt, 40 @ 27", 1 1/4 at the fades.
And a few pics.

It came in a little lighter than I wanted after shooting it in and final tillering/sanding, hence the name.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:51:50 am by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: First Osage self bow
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:09 am »
Definitely a nice 4th bow or 20th, or whatever, especially considering the knots and other obstacles. What are the stats...length, etc.?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:28:50 am »
To be honest, I'll have to re measure everything  ::) I did some side tillering and a lot of adjusting here and there to get the bow to appear. I'll post specs when I get home. It's low 40s at 27"

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:29:50 am »
Greg, I'd call it a bow from here. Nice work for your 4th.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:07 am »
Could we see an unbraced side profile shot please Greg? ...it'll help folks determine your tillered better....but by not seeing it id say your top limb looks great...and the bottom limb might be bending a hair too much in one area in the outer mid limb...but I don't know if that was the more deflexed limb and area you spoke of? But its def acceptable for osage...if you want more weight it looks like you can easily chop off 4" at least n pick up a few more pounds for sure...

Congrats on ur first "real" bow...lol... you did good...its not easy making your fourth bow and it being your first osage doing it all on your own with no firsthand help..kudos...keep up the good work

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:44:12 am »
Nice job on that one. For your 4th that turned out sweet.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:24 am »
Congrats on your first osage. Sounds like you picked a challenging stave but from the looks of the tiller you done good. Look forward to seeing the finsihed pics and eye candy.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:22 am »
I think you did a great job with a challenging stave Greg. I agree with Blackhawk about the bottom limb maybe bending a little to
much in that one area but kinda hard to tell from one pic alone. Looks like a darn bow all around, I want to see more pics of her
when you got it finished up too. Real nice osage bow man.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 11:37:31 am »
Very nice Greg, looks like a bow to me. Do you plan on seeing a shrink about goin over to the dark side >:D and please brother tell me ya aint sippin tea with yer pinky in the air, eh?

Again very nice bow and good tillering skills, ya came a long ways, pilgrim.
rich

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »
Thanks guys for all the input and support. I see that area in the lower limb that is bending too much. That area is right between two knots. I'll dig up more pics and specs when I get home from work.
Half Eye- I'm more of a river bank coffee kinda guy :D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:41 am »
Very nice.  I agree with Blackhawk, check the bottom limb, mid limb.  Nice work!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 02:06:18 pm »
Sounds like a challenging stave. I probably would have set that one aside until I was "more motivated". Great job!
SW Utah

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: First Osage self bow (new pics)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:06 am »
This bow did take about 2" of set. Sorry for not posting an unbraced profile pic.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
Nice looking bow Greg! Don't let the set throw you, we making primitive bows here not FG bows and it will do the job. Did you have this at Dave's this weekend?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:14 pm »
Yes, Tracy, that's the bow I worked on while there. Blackhawk helped me rescue it.