Author Topic: Bow making. A good read for the beginners out there.  (Read 5595 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Bow making. A good read for the beginners out there.
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »
I see we have many new bowmakers on the form full of questions and excited about making bows, this story is for you guys.

When I started my bow making adventures back in 1984 I was a kid that loved everything about Indian stuff but mainly the bows and arrows. I luckily had a grandfather that helped me with my intrests and showed me the skilled craft of bowmaking.

I remember my first osage bow.... it was squared in shape, had set, not perfectly straight, hay bailing cord for a string and since it was from a branch instead of good hard wood it had the pith line running down the center on the belly, you experienced bowyers know exactly what I'm talking about! :-\
 The bow was decorated with cheep paint from the local T,G & Y and I had some kind of awefull looking feather hanging off of it. Now at nine years old this was the coolist thing ever and I was a happy kid.

As I look back at the progression of my bow making over the years and some of the bows I loved so much I  can't imagine how I enjoyed them like I did. As I grew so did my skills at bowmaking after my Grandfather passed it was like losing my bowmaking dictionary and I had to start learning things for myself through trial and error. I experimented with various shapes, lengths, widths and woods, I failed often but the success I had kept me going. I learned that a big part of bowmaking is patience and using good materials. Good materials!!!

I see so often inexperienced bow makers using wood that I would use for the fire place rather than a bow. You have to select good wood for a good bow.
As you do more and more bows you begin to learn about wood, wood is suprising and each piece is different even if cut from the same tree. When you learn wood and I mean really learn about wood and its properties you will see your skills improve tremendously. There are many good bowmakers here who always take the time to help answer questions but I would suggest reading all you can find about bowmaking.

In my bow making class I tell my students that archery is the common bond between all men of the world because sometime in our past no matter where you're from our ancestors used the bow and the arrow. The exception being Australia and a few Pacific islands.
I don't know who coined this phrase but i like it "if your not breaking bows you not making bows".
I hope you all continue your passion with bowmaking. Don't get frustrated, practice makes experience and experience equals skill.

Just a few words of encouragement, I'm glad to see traditional bowmaking alive and well.

Indianguy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:45:17 pm by IndianGuy »

Offline randman

Re: Bow making. A good read for the beginners out there.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »
Good post IndianGuy! I love to see this craft being passed on. When I see all the many very young guys on this forum that have already mastered the skills of bowyery I know this craft will be passed on for many generations after us old timers are gone. When they are grandfathers, their grandchildren will be taught and on and on. There is something about this skill that says to every person that practices it "this skill must never be forgotten". I think archery must somehow be programmed into mankind's DNA for it to have such an appeal for all generations and all races in all parts of the world throughout history.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:21 pm »
I learned that a big part of bowmaking is patience and using good materials. Good materials!!!

That statement speaks volumes!!!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
Well said, IndianGuy!

I find that the same things hold true for flintknapping: patience and good materials!!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:01 am »
As one of the new bowmakers here I want to express my gratitude to all you "old timers" regardless of your age.
Thank you Indian guy for this story and to your Grandfather for the wisdom he gave you that you now can pass on to us new guys.
I for one had noone like that to teach me much and I have yet to set foot in another bowmakers shop to see how it is done, so without you all on here I would be seriously limited.

I have been one of the guys that had to get ahold of wood that should probably have been left alone, or destroyed some of the good stuff in my haste for success. That being said, this is the only thing I can recall that I don't get angry about all the failures I've had so far and instead just keep moving on in this new passion.

I looked at the bows you guys were putting out and it made me want to make them too. I think that's why us newbies grab some awful wood thinking it will be an awesome "character" bow and it turns into another lesson entirely. I am just now starting to realize how much there is to learn when it comes to bows and that starting simple is how I will get to the awesome character bow..eventually.

I am amazed at the willingness to respond to questions I have and the knowledge here.
Even though I haven't met any of you in person, it seems there is a fellowship amongst you that is honest and open to the new folks as well.

So, thanks to you all and hope to meet you on the path someday.
Marco DuBois
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:47:28 pm by DuBois »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:49:54 pm »
Hope I didn't write too much the first time, just love the topic. :)

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:34:28 pm »
Well said Indianguy! I too had a grandfather who taught me the basics of making bows and arrows! Like you when grandpa died I felt that far too many questions had been left unanswered. I wish I would  have been more diligent questioning him about his Cherokee heritage and the art of bow making! The best I can do is to pass on the art to my children and grandchildren so they too can pass it on.

Dale 
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »
That was a very good read indeed!  :D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair