Author Topic: my bronze tipped points and a question about pitch  (Read 6996 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: my bronze tipped points and a question about pitch
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 07:02:11 pm »
Mark,
that's likely part of the problem, I don't know.
pitch was given to me since we don't have pine trees close by. its a pitch mix bought from a jewelry supply.

there nothing like simply doing it yourself.  maybe there's too much beeswax in it.
anyone know if there is another tree around NE OKl that might make tar besides birch?

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline outback118

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »
I use 1 part pine pitch (boiled and clean), 1 part fine ground charcoal , 1 part ground plant fiber. It is very strong , I glued a 8 inch point to a forshaft with no hafting and could deflect the shaft 3-4 inches . It took about 30 flexes and a very cold day four months later  for it to let go.

The trick is to have your shaft and point hot for a good bond. it doesn't like to stick to cold things. Also wrap it when the pitch is soft so your hafting cuts into it.

Now if you have a problem with the pitch sticking to your fingers, dip your fingers in a cup of water every so often, helps to get it were you want. I just lick mine.

after the pitch sets good do one last quick heat to bring up a gloss on the pitch if you like. If you finger it you will lose the gloss.

I have been told birch tar makes a far better glue than pine sap. It's next on my to do list but takes more work to get and not many Birch around me. for those that will ask , youtube making birch tar, also has many other uses.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 07:16:46 am »
  PATS 100% RIGHT
  or you could just use supper glue.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:39 am »
I do about the same as Outback,except I use bees wax in place of the fiber,you need to test it until you get it like you want it,I take a small drip of it on a sheet of paper and let it set,then bend the paper,if it cracks it needs a little more wax if it's sticky a little more ground charcoal,till it will bend without breaking and is not sticky.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »
I'd gathered some pitch from the few pines in this area - my mix was approx. 1/3 melted pitch, charcoal and ground road-apple.
it dried brittle and cracks when tapped, won't even drip when heated.
so it seems everyone has to find their own way arriving at their own mix  :)

Pappy, thanks,
I may just take these rock hard glue sticks crack em off and add beeswax and see if its salvageable.
 need to make a "business trip" (monkey business :o) and get down into the Ozarks for enough pine sap to play around with.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49:27 pm »
You can re do it and I feel sure it will work out,the first I made was to hard and would break and fall off the arrow when shot into a target or just pick at it and it would break and fall off. Pretty cool stuff when you get it right. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good