Author Topic: My first self-bow.  (Read 3930 times)

Offline munkinstein

My first self-bow.
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:59:58 pm »
Here are some pictures of my first bow.  Take into consideration that prior to building this bow I had never held, drew, fired, or seen a bow in real life.  It is a red oak flatbow, made from a red oak board, which had perfect straight grain, but a slight twist.  It is 67 inch nock to nock, with 1.5 inches of set.  The bow is 1.5 inch wide with 0.5 inch tips.  The draw weight is 52 lb at 28 inch.  I was going for 45 - 50 lb.  I had yet to apply a finish as I'm waiting to get some critique regarding the tiller.  To my inexperienced eye it looks OK, but I'm sure I'm missing something.  I took my time with the tiller, and tried to be as critical as possible whilst tillering.  If more pictures are required I will take and upload better ones.  Also I know I'm not drawing the bow correctly, I cut the tip of my finger off while cooking dinner today and had to ham fist the string to draw.  Im
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:34:03 pm by munkinstein »

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
Re: My first self-bow.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 11:05:19 pm »
why don't you post some pics online here?
some of us are a little reluctant to go just anywhere in cyberspace...never know these days...
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:38 pm »
Sorry, pictures are too big and the forum shouted at me saying "file size was too big".  Imgur is really well established image sharing website though I can resize the pictures and repost. I understand your reticence and I apologize.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:22:39 pm by munkinstein »

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:15:16 pm »
I see it is a bit twisted. No matter, the tiller looks good enouh to my eyes. A very well made first bow!

I'd put a finish on her, a simple leather handle, make some arrows, and start shooting!
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:46:34 pm »
Looks pretty good!  I don't have much experience with the board bows but to me the tiller looks pretty good.  The fades on the handle might be a bit abrupt - those with more experience there can give better advice than I.  Looks to me like you should be proud of making a first bow that well.  Are you a lefty?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:12 pm »
Both limbs look a little stiff in the middle to me. But its looking great so far. Even with some adjustments you should fall within your desired weight range, which is a lot more than I could say about my first bow. Good job.

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:55:53 pm »
Looks pretty good!  I don't have much experience with the board bows but to me the tiller looks pretty good.  The fades on the handle might be a bit abrupt - those with more experience there can give better advice than I.  Looks to me like you should be proud of making a first bow that well.  Are you a lefty?

I'm right handed but left eyed.  I have to shoot as a southpaw, even with firearms I hold them with my non-dominant hand with no problem.  Yea, I made the riser too small, and the fades were cut at an acute angle, my next bow I'll make a larger riser, or I may forgo a riser altogether.

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:05 pm »
Both limbs look a little stiff in the middle to me. But its looking great so far. Even with some adjustments you should fall within your desired weight range, which is a lot more than I could say about my first bow. Good job.

Thanks for your advice.  I'll look into thinning up the middle of the limbs slightly before I apply the finish.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:06:26 am »
Munk that is what is so fun about this crazy addiction - the next bow! ;D
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:18:42 am »
The mid to outer limbs need to bend a little more.
If you want a rule you can use in the future then just look where the set is along the limb. There should be non near the handle , a little mid limb and the rest out to the tips.
Set is your teacher.
If a bow is bending correctly then the un-strung profile will tell you all you need to know about the tiller - I don't even need to string bows now!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:31:57 am »
For your first that is an exceptional bow,very nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 08:35:56 am »
Congrats on your first shooter...enjoy it for what it is  :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 10:19:10 am »
Congratulations!  I think it looks great.  I built a couple of red oak board bows during my first couple of months of this addiction.  In my opinion, if you can build a bow that good from a red oak board, you will have some exceptional bows in your future when you try some of the better bow woods that are out there.   Tiller looks pretty good to me.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:01 am »
After looking at it again, i agree with the above comment about the fades being too abrupt. On your next one, you should gradually blend the thickness of the handle into the limbs more.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
That is a good bow and as a first one very well done !
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !