Author Topic: Dreams can come true.  (Read 19907 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Dreams can come true.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
Stunning finish.  Wonder what he uses? Oil or varnish? 

Can it be classed as a "warbow" at only 70# @32" with a grip? I'd call it a target bow I think.  Not that it makes it any less beautiful!  You must be overjoyed with it.  I would be!

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:12 am »
Just out of interest when you say 'British' which bowyers did you contact? I could have done one for you and it wouldn't have taken months!
Lovely bow anyway!

Offline BillBow

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:23 am »
Stunning finish.  Wonder what he uses? Oil or varnish? 

Can it be classed as a "warbow" at only 70# @32" with a grip?
As I understant it the minimum weight for  a Warbow is 75# at 32" which is what I asked for. I then had to choose between one of 80# and one of 70# and choose the lesser one as I know I would always be struggling to draw 80#. If someone wants to go to the trouble of testing it FINE. At 80" long it really is a bit long to be a Target bow. But I agree about the grip which I have now removed and the bow looks better for that.
The finish is oiled.

Offline BillBow

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:43 am »
Just out of interest when you say 'British' which bowyers did you contact? I could have done one for you and it wouldn't have taken months!
Lovely bow anyway!

PM sent.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »
Sorry guys, but I kinda skimmed the text and paid full attention to pics.
Hm... so to make a warbow, it has to be at least 75@32 inches?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline WillS

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 08:11:48 pm »
I think there's a huge amount of varying opinions on what can be classed as a warbow.  Considering that the only ones really found and studied were on the Mary Rose (and nobody is really even sure if they were finished or not) its hard to say.

Personally (and this is purely just an opinion) I wouldn't consider anything under 80lbs to be a warbow, just a heavy longbow.  Even 80lbs is right on the bottom of the scale, really.  That's for a full 32" draw also.  There's a guy at the club i shoot with who uses an 80#@29" that he built and he considers that a target bow.  Its not designed like a Mary Rose bow, with the quickly tapering tips and more rectangular cross section.  I think to be considered a true warbow quite a few different requirements have to be met.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »
  Considering that the only ones really found and studied were on the Mary Rose (and nobody is really even sure if they were finished or not) its hard to say.

Where on earth did you hear that?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline WillS

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 10:33:39 pm »
Few different sources, actually.  Half of them are listed as "incomplete" in the Mary Rose Trust databases.  I wasn't there when it sank, so I don't know.  All I know is what people write and think.  I've handled them and I can't even say.  It's all conjecture.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 12:40:56 am »
It beggars belief
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline BillBow

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:11 am »
I am quite happy with my 'Mary Rose' "look alike" Warbow, I do know that it is a low powered version and may not be allowed in some circles. BUT I had to be realistic I will NEVER be able to draw 100# at 32". I love the shape of the Full Compass bow plus the rounder section, and I find pleasure in standing facing a hillock (covered in molehills) 200 yards away and just trying to get in amongst those molehills.
I think it ridiculous to think an army would ship "incomplete" Warbows (I understand someone thinks they were to have their tips steam bent into  recurves), but it only takes one *Expert* to suggest this for it to be accepted as possible.

But if those bows WERE unfinished MAYBE they would be tillererd and trimmed down to a weight of 75# so that someone of my build and age could have a go at the enemy. In which case my Bow could still be classed as a 'Completed' WARBOW.

BillBow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:14:30 am by BillBow »

Offline WillS

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 07:12:16 am »
For what its worth - and I'm certainly not interested in dredging up yet another pointless argument about what we do or don't think about these bows - I dont think they were unfinished either.  I still dont know if I agree with Chris Boyton about the recurved tips. 

This was never meant to take anything away from your thread, so I apologise if it seems to have gone off track.  Your bow is beautiful, and you should be happy with it.  If you're not entering EWBS shoots, and you want a bow that you can realistically use, then why get a 150# monster? 

Offline BillBow

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 07:25:06 am »
  If you're not entering EWBS shoots, and you want a bow that you can realistically use, then why get a 150# monster?
I would like to think that I could go to a EWBS shoot and stand in line with all the other Warbow lovers but if I am not allowed to do that with a mere 70# bow I will understand.
PS. I have just had a look at the EWBS website and they don't seem to have a minimum poundage for shooting at their meets, Just a minimum length, and NO hand Grip.(Which I have already removed)

BillBow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:34:39 am by BillBow »

Offline WillS

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 08:11:02 am »
Interestingly enough since you mentioned it, I had a look as well and it looks like you're in luck!

This is straight from the EWBS site

Quote from: EWBS Website
The Society imposes a lower limit on bow draw-weight for adult males (70lb at a measured 32” of draw), although there is no lower weight limit for women, juniors and archers over 60.  In order to encourage beginners, further allowance is made for a new member’s first year.

Mary Rose Class Self yew bows in the “spirit of the original” MR bows:

- No shorter than the shortest MR bow (74” – to be confirmed);
- May be to any MR bow profile;
- Heat treatment may be used to straighten a stave but not to induce unnatural reflex (an unbraced bow shall not show any artificially induced reflex);
- Be full compass in tiller;
- Within the 5/8th, Depth/Width rule along the length of the bow;
- Has some profile to the belly of the bow (ie not flat bellied); and has no handle grip/covering.

Offline adb

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:25 pm »
  Considering that the only ones really found and studied were on the Mary Rose (and nobody is really even sure if they were finished or not) its hard to say.

Where on earth did you hear that?

Good grief... I agree with Ian... where did this come from??? The Mary Rose Trust even took a few bows and drew them to full draw on the tiller to look at their shape and draw weight. Why on earth would Henry VIII have a warship full of unfinished warbows???

As far as draw weight goes... yes, EWBS states that min is 70#@32". A good starting point, I believe. Some people can't shoot more than this, especially initially. Personally, I think a warbow starts at >80#@30". I also think it depends more on bow style, shape, tiller, and how it's drawn and shot. I've made 85# target longbows, and 70# warbows, and they're very different beasts.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:46:45 pm by adb »

Offline BillBow

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »
[quote ]
abd

As far as draw weight goes... yes, EWBS states that min is 70#@32".
[/quote]

Have you seen these figures written down somewhere ?.

BillBow.