Author Topic: 2013 PA Bow Trade...PLEASE READ ALL RULES FIRST(pg. 1)  (Read 45843 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

Re: 2013 PA Bow Trade...PLEASE READ ALL RULES FIRST(pg. 1)
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
Got some nice staves ready to work just need to know who and I'm off to the bench ....  One of them is a nice piece of Yew...  count the rings to kill the time while you wait for the info on your victim :)

there are 35-36 rings in the heartwood not sure about the sap wood
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:11 pm »
I hope the person that drew my name doesn't have a limited choice of just yew to play with.  Yew see, yew fails in my dry climate.  If I were to receive a yew bow I would cry, knowing there would come a day when I could no longer resist.  I would have to string it and shoot it.  And it would blow up, sure as anything. 

I can think of no better wood for a bow to hunt antelope, but fated to fail from over-drying.  But if yew got yew, you can get vine maple, cascara, and lots of other stuff I have never worked with, so it's all good. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2013, 10:16:59 pm »
I hope the person that drew my name doesn't have a limited choice of just yew to play with.  Yew see, yew fails in my dry climate.  If I were to receive a yew bow I would cry, knowing there would come a day when I could no longer resist.  I would have to string it and shoot it.  And it would blow up, sure as anything. 

I can think of no better wood for a bow to hunt antelope, but fated to fail from over-drying.  But if yew got yew, you can get vine maple, cascara, and lots of other stuff I have never worked with, so it's all good.

I get if it's backed with sinew it won't;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »
I keep hearing about yew not being able to handle dry climate but have a hard time believing it as I live on the edge of the high desert and have hunted with multiple yew bows for years. Never had one fail except the ones that didn't survive the tillering tree. has anyone experience with yew failing from a dry climate? If so please show stats ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2013, 10:49:54 pm »
The buddy I learned from has had three yew ELBs blow at various stages including one that was rawhide backed and tillered so gently you would think it was made of nitroglycerine. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TNArcher1969

« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2013, 11:50:31 am »
Well Trade bow A came in under weight... starting trade Bow B... this time will be alittle less agressive on the tillering... :( :)
"Stay Calm, Pick a spot, Shoot Straight"