Author Topic: Osage Self Bow  (Read 3806 times)

Offline IDreamofOsage

Osage Self Bow
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:08 pm »
  Well after completeing "Green With Envy" I had to start on another bow. Seems I'm starting to remember that this is addicting. Anyway I was wanting to make a Eastern Woodland style bow, however I didn't realize they were all bendy handle bows. (?) I have great big hands and also carpatunnel (sp) so small thin handles are hard to hang on too. so maybe this bow is just a crossed up hybrid. LOL The stave presented plenty of challenges (several knots, bends and a dog leg whoopty-do) I've never made a bow with a D cross section before so this is a first for me. It kept trying to raise a splinter just above the knot on the upper limb. Tried to fix but limb width was getting to narrow so I ended up wrapping with artificial sinew and Titebond III.  Wrapped a knot on the lower limb also just as a precaution. I think the tiller is a llittle off on the upper limb (because of the knot problem) when I look at it on the tillering stick it looks ok though. In the full draw photo I think it looks ok on the belly side but if you look at the arc of the back it looks off. Anyway it's Osage, 63" TTT, 60" NTN and Draws 60lbs @ 28" Also I think there is something wrong with me because I have several perfectly staight staves with nice rings that are better suited to my level of craftsmanship but they dont interest me when I'm looking for a stave to start on!  >:D am I doomed?

Offline bow101

Re: Osage Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:32:59 pm »
All in all it looks great. Nice art work, I would say if it feels good in the hand and shoots well you shouldn't be doomed... 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:48 pm »
Really cool looking bow and I like the decorations 8)  Have to mention though that the sharp angle or near lack of fades at the transition of handle to limbs seams a little scary. Tillers not such an issue for this bow being osage and durable but the stress at
the handle may be. Hope I'm wrong and I do think it is a nice bow. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:58 pm »
The tiller looks a bit wonky. Almost a little hingy on the upper limb and the upper fade could work a bit more. but the art design is excellent.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:45:44 pm »
Nice art work.
Rob