Author Topic: Black Walnut vs HackBerry  (Read 3640 times)

Offline rapaport

Black Walnut vs HackBerry
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:54:13 pm »
what are your opinions of BlackWalnut and HackBerry comparing the two and which has better bow abilities. Please do not start talking about hickory or osage or Black Locust being better, im already aware. If you mention Osage or Hickory or others just give a comparison with the Black Walnut or the HackBerry. Please do not turn this thread into a Osage,  Hick, or other woods thread unless its a comparison. I found a site and did a ton of research and looked at "numbers" of wood characteristics but a lot of times numbers dont matter. It seems Black Walnut has way better "numbers" than HackBerry but I read more about hackBerry being a fine bow wood. I also read more disapointing results about BlackWalnut.  One thing I did see was Blackwalnut seemed somewhat characteristic to Black Locust. Please help. One thing I loved about the Black Walnut was the perfect splitting with no splinters and webbing and shredding like you get with Hickory

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Walnut vs HackBerry
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:07:51 pm »
With proper design any bow wood is as good as the next!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:54:38 pm »
Hackberry is really light and really elastic, the weight making it a good performer. Walnut doesn't have great compression strength but I believe it's a good bow wood, the sapwood being better than the heartwood.
Springfield, MO

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:20 pm »
Rapaport
 I have made several bows from each wood and I have found like stated hackberry is very light, it does make a good bow but the overall feel is not very desireable to me personally.
 Black walnut seems very sluggish even when made very well. I did make a short sinew backed black walnut bow a few years ago that did preform very well for its length and poundage.
 Now I say all of this being a fan of the wood you did not want mentioned.  :laugh:

Offline rapaport

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:10:19 am »
Thanks for the info. I had this tree and thought it would be a good idea. The part I didnt like was the compression issue. Now I see it is sluggish for some.

Offline jimbows

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 01:12:01 am »
if black walnut is not as good in compression would it help it out to temper the belly?

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:19 pm »
I've never worked BW but I've seen some good looking ones.

I have made a couple Hack bows, I'm a fan  :) . They perform well, some say its like elm.

I'd suggest going with Hack. Season it well and it'll work well for you.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:05 pm »
From what I learned on here about selfbows. I would personally stay away from Walnut for making a bow. I know many use those woods on laminated bows and FG's..... As far as HackBerry no idea, never seen any out in this neck of the woods. ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:54:12 am »
I've made a few bows from each and I have to say I think hackberry definitely makes a better perfoming bow, especially nice recurves, but I might prefer black walnut just because of the looks of the heartwood.  ;D
SW Utah

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:43 am »
There both about the same pieces o junk to me  ;)..(cus they ain't yeller)... :laugh:...make em both long n wide,and if you go shorter than normal make em REALLY wide....and don't rush the tiller with them...and heat treat them right before or when ya notice some set starting to creep in

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:33 am »
Ha!  telling Blackhawk not to talk about osage is like trying to tell the waves not to wash up on the beach!! :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:26 am »
Ha...got that right Howard  ;)  :laugh:

And I don't know where you got your info from but black walnut is no where near what black locust is...walnut is considerably less dense,soft, n dings easily while locust is a true "hardwood" that is much stronger than walnut in all categories,and the two are really incomparable besides having the first name black as the first word of there names...in all honesty id give a very teeny tiny slight edge to hackberry...but both can fret or break easily if under designed or poorly tillered

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:09:29 am »
I've only used walnut before an it's probably my least favorite bow wood ( besides its beauty) ive ever used besides willow.... hackberry I haven't used but I've never heard anything bad about it every one seems to say its awesome bow wood
I like osage

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:40 am »
Performance aside, I've found Hackberry is one of the easier woods to work with, and the seasoning time is shorter than walnut. The elastic qualities are also pretty amazing, but you know...it doesn't snap back like one of those 'unmentionables'.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:18:50 pm »
If you have access to black walnut go ahead and get some staves. I'd put it above woods like red oak or ash, and alot of people still make great bows out of those. Black walnut heartwood is more porous than the sapwood making it feel... chalky? when you work it. Leave the sapwood on the back and you'll still see the pretty heartwood in the belly or handle.
Springfield, MO