Author Topic: Can a mini grinder cut 3/4" steel?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Can a mini grinder cut 3/4" steel?
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
What do you think? I'm building a crossbow and I'd like to make the nut and lever out of steel. I have a 3/4 inch thick piece of plate and a mini-grinder, a bench grinder, and a drill press. Is this gear enough to get the job done?

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Can a mini grinder cut 3/4" steel?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:50:48 pm »
I think you are gonna need someone to cut that with a torch or plasma cutter.  I cut some 3/8" plate with a big side grinder once....  It was no fun but I got it done....  3/4"?  I don't think I would have tried it with any grinder.  I bet there will be one of these sure enough steel fabricator type fellows to chime in here soon.  How big is the piece you are cutting?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:19:10 pm »
Its not very big, but its a little intricate. I dunno... the more I look into it the more I think I might just make the parts from ironwood. But I do have access to the UNB machine shop... we'll see.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »
Yeah a mini grinder will cut 3/4 no prob,just gotta get the right disc.get some zip cuts,by memory there 1/64 x 4-1/2.I'm a pipe fitter and we use them all the time.use caution ,wear safety glasses and a grinding sheild! Careful to cut straight and not sidE load them or they blow!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:52 pm »
Call a local high school shop teacher,,,,most I know kinda. Like this stuff,,,do you have vocational schools around? JeffW

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:12:19 pm »
I agree with bushboy. I'm in construction to and we use mini's with zip disc to cut 3/8" angle iron. 3/4" is alot more and will take time and many discs. Be patient. A torch for large cuts and mini for the fine tuning might be safer.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »
A port-a-band (portable bandsaw) will cut 3/4 plate without a problem also.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »
Thanks for the wisdom guys. I think I am going to give it a go with the mini-grinder. I got the steel for free and I've got cutting discs galore. I'll let ya's know how I do.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 07:49:24 pm »
I'm not a metal worker but my first thought was yes, in the same way to can fell a 2 ft diameter oak tree with a hatchet  ;D

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:34:01 pm »
I'm not a metal worker but my first thought was yes, in the same way to can fell a 2 ft diameter oak tree with a hatchet  ;D

Kip
  Yep! ;D  If you have lots of discs go for it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »
Alright. I lucked out, my girlfriends grandfather has a big grinder that takes the 12 inch wheels. Should have my parts all cut out this evening. we tried a bit with the small grinder and you definitely could do it. But it take a good chunk of time.