Author Topic: dog wood comparison  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Matt A

dog wood comparison
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »
got some dogwood i spined to 70# and being 33 inches long 137gr. head a full turkey feather and about enough sinew to finish the arrow it all weighed 664gr.

anyone else have similar lightweight experiences with dogwood? i couldn't believe the strength from this stuff, i had to scrape it all the way down to about 11/32" to get to 70#

Offline Matt G.

Re: dog wood comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »
We need pics.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:54:22 pm »
Just like with cane I don't worry much about spine on hardwoopd shoot arrows. I do find the stiff side that goes against the bow but other than that I don't spine them.  The natural taper of hardwood shoot arrows works like cane and tollerates different spine groups. My arrows are usually cut to 30" and weigh in between 600gr to 700gr.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:01:14 am »
  I'm like PAT I neither spine nor weight any of my arrows. The slow self bows there a lot longer range of spine your bow will torate. This becomes bigger the close your bows center shot.
 I can look at the size or raw shafts and know what weight bow they be shoot from. When I build arrows I'll sand untill there close in size but never weight them. It they shoot from that bow I use them. Not that much difference as long as you keep your shots to 20 or less.
  Remeber your not shooting a 300 fps bow where 2 grains matter.
  Do any of use shoot that good. I'm sure not even close.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt A

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:48 pm »
I was just shocked how lightweight they were for being that stiff  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:15 am »
I don't dowel hardwood shoot arrows. I skin them, straighten them, find the stiff side and make the arrow. If the point end is too big I will use a thumb plane to reduce it some. Some of my arrows are bigger behind the point socket. It is the weight forward and the taper of the shaft that makes shoot and cane arrows so weight tollerant and why they recover so quickly and fly so well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC