Author Topic: D Bow requirments  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: D Bow requirments
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »
I suspect that people are using two different definitions of D-bow here and that is causing some confusion. I think Will is talking about a D shaped cross-section like on an English long bow. And the people who are disagreeing with him are talking about a bend though the handle, D shaped side profile. Am I wrong or does that help clear things up?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 11:47:39 pm »
Ahh yes weylin you are correct. I was under the impression we are talking about bendy handle bows. In reality all my bows have a slightly round belly as its easier to scrape on a rounded belly but they arent as round or deep as an elb
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:14 am »
Good catch Weylin.  I was referring to a bend in the handle bow as well.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 10:00:14 am »
Ah, my mistake then! I assumed the OP was referring to cross-section, not tiller.  Should have checked before offering advice.

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 10:35:48 am »
I take it back then!   :)

I've always had issues getting stable d-bows out of anything except yew, but I'm certain that's my inexperience showing.  I've given up on using anything except yew for them, as no matter what I try, the belly chrysals.  Yew seems to let me get away with anything, but it's so hard to find in the UK that I stick to what I know with it, and use flatter, squarer cross-section designs for everything else.

Best of luck to the OP, I'll be watching with interest!

Yew is very elastic but any bow wood will make a d-bow. Just adjust the widths/thickness ratio.
Yew is everywhere around here (Durham) where are you?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 03:07:25 pm »
My under standing is a D cross section puts more compression force on the belly than a retangular one.I agree that any decent bow wood will make a D cross sectional bow if made long enough for the wood species in question.not to give bad advice that only osage,yew or elm will make a D,but I think one would have a better chance of sucess using known compression strong wood and be less likely to chrsal or frett due to and uneven tiller of a novice.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.