Author Topic: Bleaching/Dying Feathers  (Read 2064 times)

JacksonCash

Bleaching/Dying Feathers
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »
Recently was given a pair of goose wings, so decided to try my hand at arrow building. Working on some home depot bamboo shafts right now, and I've got my feathers all plucked and stored away. I'd like to make one of the feathers identifiable as the cock feather, but I'm not sure how to go about dying them. Anyone have any tips, tutorials or dye-a-longs?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bleaching/Dying Feathers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:13:35 pm »
Bleaching won't work and it will be hard for color to show up over the gray of the goose feathers. All my feathes are the same. I use an index on my arrow nock to indicate the cock feather by feel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »
Fair enough, Pat. I wasn't sure if it would work or not. I'm okay with them all being the same color. Thanks for the input.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »
Pat said it all when it comes to dyeing or bleching goose feathers. Been there done that. The ones with more oil will look darker than the ones that don't.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
I dye turkey feathers in kool-aid.  Just mix the powder in some water and soak the feathers overnight.  Use a weight to hold them under the water.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
Kool-aid will work for turkey and white feathers but not on goose feathers.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt