Author Topic: Need help with wood ID  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Ringeck85

Need help with wood ID
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:30 pm »
Hi there peoples!

I cut these a few days ago and wasn't sure what kind of wood it was.  I think it's some kind of oak, maybe laurel oak or water oak (that's what I've narrowed down as most likely, the former because of where it grows and what it looks like, the latter because it grows all over the place down here), but I'm not sure even after squinting a long time at my tree guide book.  Maybe you guys who know your oaks well can tell me?  It's a young tree, and I have two 6.5" logs, one of which can be split in two fine, not sure if splitting the thinner one is a good idea.  The grain looks great for bow wood to me either way :D  I have already sealed the ends with thick coating of linseed oil, and will split once I know what I'm dealing with.

It was growing in Northern Florida between Apalachicola River and Tallahassee.  The young tree was about 40-50 feet tall (probably could grow to 80 feet given time), tall, narrow trunk, and was still fairly young.  The base of the trunk was in muddy leaves, and there was a hint of a mossy buttress there but not pronounced enough to give hint that it was anything like a bald cypress.  Other trees that grow around the area are: Southern Magnolia, Mockernut and Shellbark Hickory here and there, Water Oaks, Beech here and there, shrub trees of various kinds, bald cypress, and long needle pine trees.  Swampy low ground.

The leaves in early march are completely gone from the tree, so it is fully deciduous (so it's not any kind of live oak, and I suspect it is not water oak because the other water oaks around still have green leaves on them here and there) and not semi-evergreen.  There's also a lot of lichen on the bark not mature yet), which is mostly smooth with narrow, shallow furrows starting to form.  Twigs have very small buds growing on them at intervals of 2-3 inches apart.

Some pictures:
The logs,

bark detail:

Bottom end of larger log:

top end of smaller log

Twig showing the buds:

So my guess is it's some form of red oak species (laurel, water, swamp oak, something like that), but it could be something else entirely.  What do you guys think?
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Need help with wood ID
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:02:58 am »
If it were up here I would almost call it soft maple
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:17 am »
Huh... I know that red maple can grow down here, which is a soft maple, but it's not very common, is it? What kind of habitat does that grow in? I'll get my book and double check that, see if it matches bark and bud.  Problem is I didn't see any maple-like leaves, even dried dead ones, on the ground next to it.  Nor have I seen any in my morning walks, though I've sure been looking for wood like that.  Mainly hickory and oak down here.  Be good to have some maple to play with :D

So, my guess is no, given that I haven't seen any maple trees yet.  But give Florida another month or so, and I'll be able to see the leaves of the deciduous trees lol, that should make things a lot easier.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:16:28 am »
Ive just made a bow with that kind of wood! worked out great the tree grow nice for staves, Ive asked for ID on it on here and it came up either Laurel Oak or swamp bay we have to wait till the leaves are back on the trees to smell to see if they smell like bay if not then its Laurel Oak and i believe swamp oak is just another name for Laurel oak.
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:39:50 am »
I've  checked, it looks nothing like swamp bay, which is a kind of magnolia, though there are trees like that in the forest nearby along with southern magnolia.  Bark doesn't match very well either, book says it's smooth to scaly, this bark has small furrows/scratches in it and no scales.

And I think Laurel oak is now unlikely, since it's nearly evergreen and one of the key features to it was a buttressed trunk bottom.

And I've seen no evidence of maple leaves anywhere on the ground but maybe I should take another look at the scene of the crime :P

Any other good guesses? 

-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:37 am »
It's not a good guess but do you have any forms of hickory Nearby?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:18:34 am »
Yes, both mockernut and pignut grows here, and I think I have a stave of mockernut I'm working on atm.  Bark of those looks different than this afaik.
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:02 am »
I'm not too up on your American trees but I don't think it's an oak. Certainly not like any of our oaks.

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:50:34 am »
Ok, maybe I was wrong in assuming it was an oak.

Fishfinder tells me that the grain pattern doesn't look like oak.

So, if not oak, what might it be?  Maple? Ash? Hickory of some sort?  some sort of other obscure tree found only in northern Florida? X_X

Well I might never know lol.  Least I will try to make bows out of the mystery wood.
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 05:33:13 am »
The pictures of the end grain are clear enough to conclude that it is a diffuse porous wood, and not a ring porous wood. This rules out any hickories, oaks or ashes.
It really is as clear-cut as that. Ring porosity does not vary within a plant genus (such as Quercus, oak), while the bark pattern, color, habitat, buttresses etc. can vary tremendously.
It is also not a maple (Acer), since the leaves (buds) are not opposite. Maple IS diffuse porous, but your picture of the buds rules out maple...
So the quest continues, although we can eliminate a lot of possibilities.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 06:32:52 pm »
Huh, my guess at the end of the day might have been Red Maple, but maybe not?  I'll have to wait till more leaves come out and see.  It was very difficult to split evenly and I'm afraid I lost half of it, "It's dead, Jim" X_X  I'll see if I can salvage anything from that attempt, I still have the other log though.  Very wet and fibrous wood, though for a young tree, in florida humidity, and lying near a spring will probably do that to a lot of woods.  Gonna need to be patient and look for other wood to work with I think.

Sweetgum and Tuliptree also grow in the woods, their leaves sorta looked like maple and there are some dead ones on the ground, though this log was not either of those.  I thought density wise it felt like oak, but maybe that was its water weight :P

Thanks for the eliminations :)

It's not sweetbay, tuliptree, most likely not any kind of maple, not hickory, not ash, not any kind of oak. Are you sure it couldn't be some sorta live oak? Or does that go by the same ring porous rule?  I'm getting to know my trees better with all of these wood scoutings so that's probably the best thing to come from all this :D  Again, many thanks.  And if anyone has any other ideas feel free to chip in.
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:36:03 pm »
Not Live Oak.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:27 pm »
It doesn't have a cluster of buds, as all oaks do.  It's alternate branching not opposite, so that rules out maples and ashes.  My guess would be black gum or one of the tupelo's...

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:59:27 am »
That is quite possible.  Some sorta gum or tupelo.  Can that make a bow or should I not bother?
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 10:14:26 am »
Looks like water hickory to me.  We have them in the river bottoms in south alabama.  If that is what it is, it isn't as strong as the other varieties of hickory.  They have small hickory nuts that look like little miniature pecans and they generally are heavy nut producers.  You should have seen lots of hulls on the ground.  That's my guess.  Young pecan trees can look like that too, but you usually don't find them in swampy places where the tupelo gums grow.  Pecan is good bow wood.  Check out a website called Trees of Alabama and the Southeast.  It is put out through Auburn University and has some great information.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:33:29 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi