Author Topic: help with my knapping  (Read 2385 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

help with my knapping
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:48:57 pm »
OK I'm having problems ruining flakes all the way across .just wondering if u can give me sum tips . i took sum pics of what I'm using copper  bop er i don't have a copper  nail . so i have been trying a metal one for now  i do have a antler that use sum times  but i don't have much luck at all with it .i try to abrade  be for any flakes are taking off.. i don't no u tell me .i have not been doing it longe i have watched lots of knapping videos. and over look every ones post and points on here. the first pic is one i was working on today and was going for a knife blade but broke it in half win trying to take off a thick part at the tip .the bigger one beside it is the one i wont help with right now before make a wrong move and it ends up like the other one .

Offline bubby

Re: help with my knapping
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:00:55 pm »
go to home depot and get some number 4 bare copper ground wire, get a couple of feet, put 1 end in a vice and chuck the other end up in a drill then spin it till it breaks lose, it will get straight hard and hot, real hot, you can make your copper flakers from this
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:14 pm »
For just starting out, your doing very well. It looks like you are setting up platforms and you are getting some flaking action. The problem is the material you are learning on. Trying to knap floor tiles is darned hard, especially for someone just starting out. The material is a man made material, gritty and porous, and not like natural stone at all. And it is very flat and learning to knap flat material with square edges is a learning experience all of it's own. It is really difficult to master running a long flake on this material. Not saying it cannot be done, there are some guys on here that can do it. I am not one of them. It is just plain hard to do takes a lot of practice. And you are using a bopper, so your hits have to be pretty dead on and the angle you hold the material is going to come into play. My suggestion would be to keep doing what you are doing, but understand what you are working with. You would probably see really different results if you were on real rock that can be knapped. Just keep at it.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »
To add here ,working a flat surface to run long flakes is not easy. You need to build convexity flakes run longer on a more rounded surface. They will run better on the ridges you make to. Your doing pretty good with what you have. Keep at it your learning how it needs to done.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:11 am »
Looks like your doing alright for the material. As said, that is tough to get long flakes on without an Ishi stick. Might try making a copper pressure flaker and using indirect percussion with better results on tile.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:36:48 pm »
thanks you guys, I'm going to keep at it and well post up more as i get it done maybe i can get  those long flakes . i going to keep at it till i run out of it tile to try it on . i have been wanting to get  sum kind of flint but  did not wont to wast any money  on it till i was ready and no i can get most use from all of it . 8)

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:46:49 pm »
As far as material to learn on is concerned I'd say youd be better off learning on glass. Bottoms of beer bottles work great. Also depending on where you live you could surely find your own stone without paying a thing. Where you at?
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »
i  live in hattiesburg mississippi.

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 11:47:49 pm »
Well I don't know about your immediate area but the northeast corner has good rock. You just got to get out and look in the creeks for it.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:14 pm »
i live on   a river and all the time I'm looking around creeks and stuff but have not come across any thing just yet .

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »
I will send you some obsidian spalls and flakes if you could cover the shipping.  Like maybe a medium flat rate box?
This may help you out some. Just PM me.

Tell
Tell Riley

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 08:33:31 pm »
I will send you some obsidian spalls and flakes if you could cover the shipping.  Like maybe a medium flat rate box?
This may help you out some. Just PM me.

Tell
SENT YOU A  PM.

first try at a knife
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 08:17:47 pm »
well this is what i ended up with . out of that peace . went ahead and made a knife for the guy that git me the anaconda skin used the tail end to rap the  wood handle . i could not get all the ruff back side off of the tile so i cheated a little and went and sanded the back side of what was lifted off and then tyred to  take sum more flakes off but  would not get the to go over the blade so i lifted it like it was .more less for show then use blade is kinda sharp . but not much . but all and all for my first try and a knife like this   i like the way it turned out . let me no what  ya thank . made sum good pine pitch  glue to hold it togethere first time i made it right with out being to brittle.o and the case i made out   of rawhide strips for  pets  at the store and stained them glued on those claws there from a bob cat killed  last year at the deer camp i hunt at a Friend gave them to me .

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:27:05 pm »
Bravo!! Good job.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 11:34:10 pm »
Very good for ceramic tile.  The new owner will be proud.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018