Author Topic: How do I fix this?  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Re: How do I fix this?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »
I'm going to peal the crack up and try to glue it back down. If it fits well and looks good, I'll keep working with it, if not, I'll scrap it and start on the next one.  :)

I just cut a 10" hickory tree so I've got plenty of staves, they just need to dry first.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 03:44:30 pm »
did you get my PM?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 04:48:00 pm »
Imagine what could happen if you were at full draw and she blew up on you.  ::)  Bruises, cuts, shards of wood in the face :o
I would light a fire with the bow, brew a cup of coffee over the fire and get to carving in the next piece of wood. I don't have any experice with breaking bows so take it with a grain of salt. If ya save it best of luck, be careful.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:51 pm »
did you get my PM?

Yeah, I'm not too sure its worth it though. I have half dozen hickory staves that need debarked, shaped, and seasoned. By the time I finish the last one the first one will probably be ready to go.

It can be fixed. But I'm not sure its worth my time when there are so many other trees just anxiously waiting to be turned into bows.  :)

Thanks for the offer though man.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 04:44:57 am »
did you get my PM?

Yeah, I'm not too sure its worth it though. I have half dozen hickory staves that need debarked, shaped, and seasoned. By the time I finish the last one the first one will probably be ready to go.

It can be fixed. But I'm not sure its worth my time when there are so many other trees just anxiously waiting to be turned into bows.  :)

Thanks for the offer though man.  :)

welcome  :laugh: BD
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 05:14:05 am »
Eh, glue it back down, then rasp it flat, toss on a handle riser, call it done. Why hasnt anybody mentioned a riser yet? Or a take down?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 06:35:08 am »
Eh, glue it back down, then rasp it flat, toss on a handle riser, call it done. Why hasnt anybody mentioned a riser yet? Or a take down?

+1. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:43 am »
That one is done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
I am generally a proponent of "fixing" a fixable bow.  This one looks to be on life support with little chance of making a recovery IMO.  Put your time into starting another.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 11:36:35 am »
When I saw your thread I expected to see either a drying check lengthwise or a tension crack crosswise on the belly.I've gotta go woth cooketarrow on this one....That's not a crack .It's a break.Like was said just grab another stave.Remember it's just a piece of wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »
Well you mistaked by using dry heat the only wood you wanna bend with dry heat Is Osage on hickory you need to steam it and it works really well I dont dry heat at all even on Osage because steam works much better
I like osage