Author Topic: How do I fix this?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

How do I fix this?
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:47:16 pm »
Tried heat bending some setback into a hickory self bow for the first time. It worked pretty well untill... CRACK!  :o

It cracked lengthwise down the handle.

Here's the pics. The crack is almost entirely lengthwise, I figure there's probably someway to fix this with enough TBB and a handle wrap to hide the crack mark.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How do I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:20:57 pm »
Dan, you could glue it and add a wrap but you might be better off just starting another bow. Was this from a board? Looks like it broke along a grain line.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:29:56 pm »
That crack looks like it is stretching out quite a long ways. I'd junk it, and start a new one.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »
Nah, its straight from a hickory tree  :). Normally I'd scrap it but its almost completely tillered and just some sanding and a little bending away from completion. That is, before this happened.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »
Sorry, you're not going to fix that one. It would be a waste of your time trying, and you may hurt yourself thinking it's fixed and having it explode at full draw.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:52 pm »
If that is the handle I woudl say you could easily make it safe again. It is the handle right? Center pretty much?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:34 pm »
i would use an epoxy or hide glue to do it. but it's up to you. good luck and fix the handle put a wrap and finnish. then hang it on the wall and say it's completed  ;D ;D ;D ;D SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:51 pm »
Its the handle, which is basically non bending. It cracked at the fade where the rings change.

I accidently split an osage stave in a similar manner when I was rough shaping it. I pealed up the broken handle part, glued it back on. And its been shooting strong ever since. But that was osage and was twice as wide at the fade (pyramid).

If it in the limb I would have thrown it down in a fit of anger and hit the heavy bag for awhile by now. But its not in a high stress part of the bow, its just cause I was bending it the otheway to add setback.   :-\

If I set it down long enough, I'll be able to cope with the loss. But I'd like to review all of my options of reviving it first.  :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »
Matches and marshmallow sticks ;).I figure if it's failed to that extent,even if I fix it ,I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it away. A man can only keep so many dodgey bows. I'd hate to be at full draw on a fine fat deer and have it let go again. The amount of time you spend repairing it could likely bring you close to where you're at right now with a new one.Your call ,but sometimes you just have to shoot your horse!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:27 pm »
Just out of the fades might not bend a lot but I'm pretty sure it's under a fair amount of stress. I think I agree with lostarrow on this one. Might be doable but is it worth it in the long run?

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:39:34 am »
For a start there is not really any fade out going on there. Sure it gets a bit thicker but I would like to bet that it was bending there, even if you don't think it was!
Do not bend wood severely where the rings are cut through....as you now know!
The maximum stress in a bow is into the fades/handle.
Sure you could glue it, clamp it and then wrap but it would look like a mess and be likely to turn into a wood grenade on every draw!
Learn the mistake you made and move on.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:09 am »
You have a little less fad and smaller handle than I have on most I lay out ,but I have seen them split it that same area several time,one just last week,if it is in the non bending area and on the belly side,you can  superglue it and wrap it good as you make your grip and it will probably be ok. If there is a hump in the handle or you try and add to much reflex they will split there almost every time.I clamp the handle and also a clamp on either side at the base of the fads before I try and reflex much, unless they are laying really flat through that area. :) Super glue it,clamp it tight and let it set,then string and pull to full draw[on a tree preferably]  ;) :) and if it holds I wouldn't worry about it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:50 am »
Yup. I was thinking good super glue for the crack. Then a TBIII soaked hemp wrap handle. It wont come apart again, it cant. I woulnt give it away. It woudl stay with me. Not because of safety, but becasue I dont give away bows that arent almost "perfect". Thats just my thing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:15 am »
I would probabaly grab another stave and have at it. This ones primary role is a leason learned and if you learn from it, it will have done its job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 11:34:57 am »
  Thats not a crack thats a break. Chalk it up to exsperance.
  START OVER
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING