Author Topic: Help with a recurve takedown  (Read 8933 times)

Offline WarBird

Re: Help with a recurve takedown
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:19 pm »
Came up with the riser design after researching a bunch, and the angle I wanted to have so that if I needed to adjust the weight I could with extra washers/spacers or a wedge. Unfortunately those 1/4" limbs are just nowhere close but I found some wood about 1" thick that may work...

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:46 pm »
Trust me on the lamination of two pieces 1/4 inch thick....

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:53 pm »
I think you can do this  !
Pat says use two strips glued together so go for it ,I am not a red oak fan so if you can find hickory I would feel better about your possibility of doing this !
I have some red elm that I am dreaming of doing a build like this with !
I hope to get at it this summer !
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 04:57:23 pm »
I also think your wanting to run before you walk but I don't think ALL t/d bow risers are ugly blackhawk >:Dhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24354.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 05:24:45 pm »
I think  a three piece with simple lams is actually easier to make in many ways. It eliminates much of the roughing out that makes a beginner impatient and completely eliminates the tricky handle transitions with dips and flares into working limb etc.
 It makes the process a bit more like a recipe with putting stuff together rather than the essential tearing down in a controlled manner that produces a normal self bow.
 I think we can agree that a lam bow with already flattened surfaces and pieces that are naturally close to finished dimensions presents far less of a challenge than a chunk of wood that demands a person be more of a sculptor than a carpenter.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 07:18:42 pm »
pat with all due respect unless he's just gonna drill some holes thru the whole works and have a bolt sticking out both sides I disagree, the limbs are the least of the problems, I've only made half a dozen all wood 3 pc bows but that has been my experience, Bub

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:47 pm »
Which is totally fine apart from being unsightly.  Drilling a hole and gluing in an insert is little challenge and a flush mounted Chicago bolt is a perfectly feasible solution as a middle ground.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:01 pm »
yeah it will work but like you said look's like crap, I used none of those methods on mine and took a little skill

Offline WarBird

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »
Well I have another board bow to work on for now and I've decided to use the other two 1/4" slats to make a simple kids lamination bow for my son because I contacted the forester for the DGIF and was told that there is some osage and other good woods that have been cleared in my area that he thinks would make great bow wood! All it takes is a phone call to tell him when and the wood is mine so I will now be able to get to work making some selfbows for real from staves and one day I'll break that riser back out and craft some proper limbs for it. I know I could make it work with some thicker boards or by laminating but I seriously don't want to make what turned out to be a decently attractive riser into Frankenstein with bolts hanging out  ;D

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:13 pm »
Warbird I think thats a great idea. You did a nice job on it and it will still be waiting for you when you have some bows under your belt. If you have osage growing around yo then there is no reason why you can't find some good staves. Be sure and read the bark to try and find stuff thats relatively straight. I have never had anyone tell me no when I asked to cut on their property for osage. Especially when I tell them I make self bows and don't do it commercially. I also offer to make them a bow in exchange if I find something worth cutting. I also ask if they bow hunt or would they just like a wallnanger. Most of them just want a wall hanger, so save alll your bows that have too much set and you can finish them up nicely and they will hang strung on their wall as art, no body will be any worse for the wear. Welcome to the addiction.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God