Author Topic: Advice on crack that formed following grain  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Advice on crack that formed following grain
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:20 pm »
I have been working on a character osage bow and had finally got what a good tiller on a low brace string and was putting a shorter string on to raise the brace to it's final height when I heard a pop right before I got the string on the nock. So I relaxed the bow and looked it over real good and couldn't see a thing. So I strung up the bow to see if I could bring out whatever it was so I could see it and on a very snaky portion that is right at a fade a crack had formed that followed the grain. It's like the wood fibers had separated. In this same spot I used dry heat to bend it a little to get the string to go through the handle. The crack is about 3-4" long and on the back of the bow and is fairly shallow. Since it only opens when the bow is flexed, I'm thinking to fix it I can fill it with super glue or hide glue then possibly wrap it. I don't have my camera at the dorm with me to take a pic. For a little background on the bow, it is about 66" long, with a 6" handle, is lightly recurved and is holding about 4 1/2 - 5" of reflex. I found this log after it had been on the ground for several years and has 2 bug holes that go clear through and another that is on the edge of one of the limbs. None of these spots are giving me any problems. What do you all think I should do. I am not opposed to sinew backing if necessary. I have found that I like heat treated and sinew backed osage.  Thanks for any advice.

Offline okie64

Re: Advice on crack that formed following grain
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:37:40 pm »
Does it run off the edge of the limb or is it closer to the middle?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:45 pm »
It's right in the middle of the limb.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:33:13 pm »
Heres what I would do. Flex it enough for the crack to open up a little and then fill it full of runny super glue, then unbrace it and let the crack close up and possibly put a clamp on it to completely close it up. After the glue dries string it up again and see what happens. You could wrap it when your done tillering for added security or if the crack is close enough to the fade where you wont be taking much wood off go ahead and wrap it now. It will probably be fine as long as it doesnt run off the edge. Ive even fixed cracks on osage bows that did run off the edge with superglue and a wrap and theyve held up fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:35 pm »
Sounds like a drying check. If it doesn't run off the limb it is only a cosmetic problem. Fill with super glue and you should be fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:53:29 am »
Tomorrow I'll stop by the store and pick up some super glue and get it all glued up. When I get it all done I might wrap it just to be sure nothing comes of it. And I'll probably add another coat of glue to the bug holes since they opened up on the belly side while tillering.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:03:54 am »
I keep super glue handy while building selfbows. Checks, knots, pins and whatever other maladies happen all get super glue.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:31:24 am »
Think of wood as strong fibers stuck together with very weak glue.
As long as checks etc don't run off the edcge of the limbs they are no problem.
Do what the others said!