Author Topic: Nate Curtis arrest  (Read 4505 times)

Offline StevenT

Nate Curtis arrest
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »
I was wondering if any one has information on this. All I have seen is that someone in Florida named Nate Curtis was arrested for selling historic artifacts. A google search doesn't reveal anything. Like I said, I don't know anything else on this and if it is opening a can of worms, I don't have any problem with the admins deleting the thread.

Offline bubby

Re: Nate Curtis arrest
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:08 pm »
you can probably go to the jail website if ya know where it was, most have pics of inmates
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:58:42 pm »
Thanks, but my understanding is he was just recently arrested. My asking wasn't so much about him as it was about the implications it might have on people who collect artifacts, such as arrowheads. I was just curious.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »
It is best to be fully aware of all stte, Federal, and local laws regarding collection of artifacts.  Unless you are on private land with express permission, it's basically theft of public property at the very least and desecration of a grave in certain situations. 

In parts of the Southwest, some artifacts are serious black market goods.  Some criminal pot hunters are willing shoot to kill, even if you are a hiker that came across their criminal activity.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:48 pm »
A first nation buddy of mine has been doing archeology for that last 15 years here in northern manitob and has found countless arrow ,spear and even ancient grave dating back ten thousand years! He has promised me one when he get's back from his turn around so may be I'll get arrested!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:33:50 pm »
Haven't watch the news in a few days. But Florida don't play, from my understanding, hear say, you can't pick them up. We just had a pretty good primitive arts and knapp-in last weekend at silver river state park. maybe someone spotted or was show some artifact.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »
Here's some links to the story.  I can't post direct links so just erase the three dash marks in front of the link address when you copy and paste.

---http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20130228/NEWS01/302280037/13-arrested-state-artifact-theft
---http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_east_hillsborough/father%2C-son-arrested-for-excavating-artifacts-in-state-park
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »
  EXCUSE me for being so sheltered who's NATE CURTIS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:17:28 pm »
Thanks for asking Roy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 12:30:05 am »
I know a few of the guys arrested, including Nate. They were all pretty stupid as far as I'm concerned.
They were arrested for selling artifacts dug on State land and bragging about it to FWC Officers.

You can google FWC and the  search their site for wildlife crimes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 12:37:02 am »
Oh, yea, It's legal to dig on private property in Florida. Or in the rivers with an isolated finds permit. But, Burials are off limits.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?